In this Breeding thread, we post our Breeding Wishes

Pics
I'm very much into Silkies and breed the ones I have for fun and sell the chicks. As far as colors, there really hasn't been any development on a deep red colored Silkie which would be gorgeous! There are so many colors I wish were and could be developed such as calico but I know that is really hard to obtain and steadily breed in or retain those colors. Satin Silkies are beautiful as well and I feel like they come in more variations that the regular type of silkies. I'll just list a few more colors because there are so many! Ok, silver partridge, lavender, porcelain, and I think a few others I haven't thought of yet that I probably will post later.🙂
A Speckled Sussex x Silkie can create a red, silkie like chicken.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/posts/20838013/

I have way too many things I want to do with chicken breeding.

Red Pyle Ameraucanas. (Any color Ameraucana I can make with blue or lavender down the road, that might have red or lacing as well.)

A blue and green egg layer with crest, long tail, and maybe beard and muffs and slate legs.

A large bodied, feather legged blue egg layer. (My friend from work wants something like a brahma that lays blue eggs.) W/ slate legs.

I want to see if I can get single comb blue/green egg laying. (could be a pipe dream from the info I've read that blue eggs seem to be tied to pea comb) W/ slate legs.

I would like to work on getting blue/green egg laying Phoenix and Sumatra.

Most of this will take me the reset of my life as I can only do it on small scale.

I have way too many things I want to do with chicken breeding.

I hear ya! I had to take a deep breath and step back with my silkied Cochins because I want to do it right and breed them to good quality, not just breed them willy-nilly and end up with something that kinda-sorta looks like a Cochin and is silkied. I wanted to try and introduce a bunch of colors to them, but I've decided it's for the best to focus on the BBS varieties for now... And Chocolate on the side just for fun, too, because I couldn't resist. 😅 But no more than those varieties for now!

Red Pyle Ameraucanas. (Any color Ameraucana I can make with blue or lavender down the road, that might have red or lacing as well.)

Some Red Pyle-patterned birds are Splash Red or Gold Duckwing from my understanding, so you could possibly get both Red Pyle and blue with red in one go from that.

I want to see if I can get single comb blue/green egg laying. (could be a pipe dream from the info I've read that blue eggs seem to be tied to pea comb) W/ slate legs.

Look into Legbars! They have a single comb and lay blue eggs, you'd just have to get the slate legs in there. The genes are close together and often inherited together, but it's not impossible to get one trait without the other, just look how many pea combed breeds there are that don't lay blue eggs!

want to see if I can get single comb blue/green egg laying. (could be a pipe dream from the info I've read that blue eggs seem to be tied to pea comb) W/ slate legs.

Look into Legbars! They have a single comb and lay blue eggs, you'd just have to get the slate legs in there. The genes are close together and often inherited together, but it's not impossible to get one trait without the other, just look how many pea combed breeds there are that don't lay blue eggs!

Was going to mention Legbars also!

Legbars are an autosexing breed from Britain. They have heavy Brown Leghorn and Barred Plymouth Rock influence in their background, hence the name Legbar. British Araucanas introduced the blue egg and little crest, but their creators were able to return them to single combs despite this influence in their background. Edit, whoops, apparently that's not true :oops:

My girl Harriet has the floppiest, foldiest comb ever, but I promise it's a single comb. 🤭

Harriet 7-29-22.jpg

Last edited:
Legbars are an autosexing breed from Britain. They have heavy Brown Leghorn and Barred Plymouth Rock influence in their background, hence the name Legbar. British Araucanas introduced the blue egg and little crest, but their creators were able to return them to single combs despite this influence in their background. 🙂 My girl Harriet has the floppiest, foldiest comb ever, but I promise it's a single comb. 🤭

View attachment 3298925
what does auto sexing mean? is it like when you can tell from the feather pattern? or is it something else?

Back
Top Bottom