In Yuba City, CA Please help me if you can!!!

speakup4kids

Songster
9 Years
Apr 3, 2010
Yuba City , CA
I have a strange problem and really hope that there is someone close to me that can help me out. I work in a local elementary school in Yuba City and every year our kindergarten classes hatch chickens for our open house. This is actually what started my love of chickens and led to my current and ever increasing backyard flock! This year I bought some hatching eggs locally and really thought I had covered my bases. I had 25 in two incubators due to hatch a few days before our open house. I have been hatching my own chicks in these incubators all winter and had a great hatch rate. (recently rehomed my roos so I had no fertile eggs)

I candled today and I only have 3 possible hatches out of 25 eggs. I really want these kids to be able to see chicks hatch but we are only 8 days away from D-Day. I am sooo desperate! (I seriously considered walking on 99 and looking for broady hens to steal from!) Help me!!!

Heidi

Our open house is May 12. I candled today and was so disappointed. I have 3 out of 25 that I am fairly confident in. I hatched at home all winter long and was up to 80-90 percent hatch rates and now this.
he.gif
I am not controlling the incubator, one of the kinder teachers is ( I do the after school kinder program) and I hate not knowing exactly what is going on.

Worst case scenario, just pick up a few chicks from the feed store and say they hatched over night
wink.png
That's what I'd do!

Awww, how disappointing! I can't help with this hatch, but I am swimming in serama eggs now and I already have ten chicks myself, so let me know if you want more fertile serama eggs to hatch.
wink.png
Better they go to someone else than for me to be tempted to just stick them in the incubator "just for fun."

I really, really want some serama eggs!! That is me being totally selfish of course. I hatched seramas from you last year and my favorite chicken is Chipmunk, my serama!! The other two that hatched I no longer have. Do you still do wildlife rehab? Some students brought me in a baby bird this morning and I don't really know what to do with it...

Thanks,

Heidi

Back
Top Bottom