inbreeding? sorry, have to ask

RockyToggRanch

Songster
11 Years
May 22, 2008
Upstate NY
Hi, my husband asked me today "how do we keep them from inbreeding?" I said.."hmmmm...I dunno..I don't think it matters....let me ask someone."

anyone?

Linebreeding, which is for example, mother to son or grandson, father to daughter or granddaughter, is an acceptable form of breeding. It isnt like in humans. Even brother to sister isn't what you'd think, although that is the less desirable form of breeding. When you breed siblings you intensify traits, good and bad.

breeding brother to sister, can eventually after 3 ish years of breeding brother - sister. over and over. the fowl will start to come small, and i hear its the same way with horses. now, if you show poultry, breeding brother and sister you may get Amazing ones from it but then you can also get horrible fowl because that is in their bloodlines, and breeding brother/sister brought that out..

-Daniel

Unless you are working on a breeding program for some particular trait, showing, etc, then eat the eggs and don't worry about it.

It may offend our sensibilities to see close relatives mating, but it doesn't bother the chickens at all...
hmm.png

Thank you all. I'm not breeding them at this point,( although I may seperate the sumatras in the spring and sell some fertile eggs.) I really only want to enjoy my pets and some fresh eggs. I'll tell my husband he can rest assured that his eggs are safe regardless of who laid who. ooh, sorry.

Back
Top Bottom