Incabating eggs for hatching out the refridgerator......

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by aclaytor, Jan 28, 2011.

1. aclaytor

aclaytor New Egg

Jan 28, 2011
    I've read lots of stuff on this, I have to try this because "Dogs" got in my coop and joy killed every chicken and guinea I had . I raised Dominque's and they got all 28 of them. It was very sad to walk out and see this. I had 16 eggs in the refridgerator and 2 out of the nest to try to incabate. I hope to get a few out of this experment. If not back to the zero and start all over....I will keep everyone updated. I tried to candle theming after 7 days but being brown eggs I could'nt tell...so keep fingers crossed for me ....A Claytor Chatham Virginia

2. Billyj

Billyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2010
    Gaffney SC
    Sorry for your loss. Same thing happened to me. Good luck and hope it all works out for you.

3. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    [​IMG] and so sorry this had to be your first post [​IMG]
    Many people have done this and had chicks hatch. Lots of good hatching vibes your way! [​IMG]

4. aclaytor

aclaytor New Egg

Jan 28, 2011
    thxs for the well wishes...I will keep all updated on eggs

5. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    I have hatch eggs that have been in refridgerator. Lot of time its better than those not.

6. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    [​IMG] and sorry for your loss. I lost a couple to the neighbor's dogs late last year and it is a horrible feeling.

On the candling, have you looked at the sticky on candling eggs? (I think it is the first one in the incubating eggs section). It is a great set of photos, showing what they should look like at each day of incubation. I just went into lockdown on my first hatch ever so I am far from an expert on incubating. The first time I candled, I saw a dark blob but wasn't sure if it was the yolk or a fetus. However when I compared to those photos, I realized what I was seeing was a fetus - and then it moved! You should be able to see into brown eggs unless they are really dark like a Marans egg (although some say with a bright enough light you can even candle Marans eggs). If you are not seeing anything, you might try a brighter light. I invested in a little Maglight from Walmart that I'm really happy with.

7. aclaytor

aclaytor New Egg

Jan 28, 2011
    I agree with you....I thank GOD everyday I wake up...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by