Incomplete egg: See Photo: What could be causing this?

Long Last Farm

Songster
9 Years
Apr 30, 2010
Southern Tier, NY
56005_iincomplete_egg_001.jpg

Two days in a row, one of my birds has laid an egg with an incomplete shell. Part of the shell is missing, but the inner membrane is intact. What could be causing this?
I don't know which bird is doing it, but i do have some young birds who are just about ready to lay. Maybe it is one of them? It has been very cold here, but none of them seem sick. Anyone have any ideas?

Hopefully you have experienced one of the many glitches that can happen to egg laying -- much more common in new layers, but things happen once in a while to older birds, too.

Somtimes things like that happen. Some eggs are soft and mushy. Sometimes hens will lay eggs with all kinds of dents in them. All of which are just somthing that happens somtimes. You say you have young hens - That could be whos laying them. Though any chicken can lay an egg like this - Your young ones have a big chance of it being their eggs.
wink.png

A little extra calcium, couldn't hurt. I wouldn't think it is anything to panic about. So many of the eggs are picture perfect, it is kind of a surprise when you get an unusual one!

I think they have enough access to calcium--I give them free choice oyster shells at all times, plus, I give them cotttage cheese 2 or 3 times per week. I get 6-11 eggs each day from 17 hens that are old enough. I have 6 younger hens , hatched on 8/1/10, so it could possibly be one of them ( 19 weeks old)

Back
Top Bottom