Inconsistent egg laying

Bobalina

Chirping
Jun 4, 2022
Hi all,
So I have 5 coturnix quail, one male, the rest female. They’re about 2 months old at this point, all of my girls lay, but one of my girls has recently started laying eggs that weigh about 20 grams, for comparison, the rest of my girls lay eggs about 10 grams. Is this something I should be concerned about?

If she is behaving fine and doesn't seem affected then I wouldn't think it was much of an issue probably just a bit more painful for her lol. More food for you too! One of our littlest girls lays our biggest eggs I think they were 18 or 19g, but she's a very happy lady so I try not to overthink it.

Is she significantly larger than the other hens? Are the larger eggs double yolk? Sometimes a hen will lay inconsistent size eggs at first but the larger eggs can put them at risk of prolapse.

Is she significantly larger than the other hens? Are the larger eggs double yolk? Sometimes a hen will lay inconsistent size eggs at first but the larger eggs can put them at risk of prolapse.
She’s about the same size as all the others…she likes food a lot so maybe a bit rounder :p

Back
Top Bottom