Incorporating a brooder area in Woods Coop?

Thanks for all the suggestions! I like the idea of using a portion of the front scratch area with temporary walls. I don’t have dropping boards and hadn’t planned on using them - doing a modified deep litter in the coop.

I’m also now considering a second coop to use as a sequestered breeding area and/or cockerel bachelor pad. I’ve been thinking and debating if I should go with just a plain shed style or a smaller version of a Woods coop. I’m just wondering how small I could reasonably go and maintain a 1:6 ratio. I have the book and plans for a 6x10 but wondering if I could go down to a 5x8? I don’t anticipate the second coop housing more than 6-8 birds at any one time. The birds don’t free range but have a large fenced area (40x48) on the main coop. I would probably fence in a 10x48 area off the smaller coop.

Thanks! Medda

I have a 4x8 shed type coop that works well as a brooder. I think a 4x8 woods would be do-able. 5 foot wide would have a lot of wasted material. Just need to think about how to have one side be a large door, so you can clean it out, etc.

Under the roosts with poop boards you can scrape them onto the floor if that’s what you want to do .....

Cover the poop board with linoleum for easy scraping, brooder is out of the way and a nice size too ...

Yup I think @aart is kind of like border patrol , she does know a heck of a lot but also scares you a bit !!!:):)

I mean that with all the best intentions... see now I’m scared ;(

Back
Top Bottom