Increase in electric bill after running incubator?

I just bought a Brinsea. I just figured it was pretty economical, but I haven't checked it out. My homemade was just running a small computer fan & a light bulb, so I can't see how it's gonna raise my electric bill too bad. My heat lamps are using 100 watt bulbs not the 250 watt ones.

We use an EcoGlow for brooding, and our incubator is a Reptipro 5000. Where we live now, our electricity is included with our rent so we don't see the bill. However, in our last house, we noticed absolutely no spike in the electric bill after we started hatching chicks. Our bills there were ALWAYS really high.

DH is on my case, our electric bill went up $150! I blame it on the space heater in my bathroom. Of course, i have extension cords running all over the property to keep waterers thawed, chicks warm, lights on.... for ten acres of critters.

Quote:
ep.gif
I'll pay your bill, you pay mine, it's usually in the $400 range.
tongue.png
I don't notice an increase at all running the 'bators and EcoGlow.

Last edited:
Quote:
ep.gif
tongue.png

I'll take yours even...I just paid a 1200 bill, for a 920 SF house.

Quote:
ep.gif
tongue.png

ep.gif
th.gif
Oh my! That's insane! I'll stop complaining about mine now.
hugs.gif
I'd be in trouble if I had to pay that.
hide.gif

How big of a incubator are we talking about?

Table top job can't use much more electricity than a 100watt light bulb. It would take a huge cabinet model incubator to use as much juice as an A?C unit. Most every appliance I have ever bought has a power usage tag on it.

Here you go--

Brinsea Poly hatch

Specifications
Egg Capacity: Quail 100, Pheasant 64, Chicken 42, Duck 35, Geese 16-20
Egg Turning: Automatic
Weight: 12 lbs
Power and Electricity: 110 Volt AC, 25 Watts on average

Sportsman 1502

• Power and Electricity Specifications
110 Volt AC 225 Watts

Way less than a fridge. You might be able to see the large Sportsman cabinet model on your electrical usage, but no way would you see the Brinsea table top. Unless you have very little electrical usage to start with, like no fridge, no washing machine, no hair blow dryer, only using electricity for basic lighting. A fridge when it is running uses somewhere around 800 - 1200 watts, a small TV can use a couple hundred watts.

Last edited:
Quote:

ep.gif
th.gif
Oh my! That's insane! I'll stop complaining about mine now.
hugs.gif
I'd be in trouble if I had to pay that.
hide.gif

lets see...normally its only 200 or so, this one was a shock. We moved the hot tub into the basement, which wouldn't make a difference, since it has been set upfor aawhile now(early summer).
heat lamp in the chicken run, heated dog dish for the ducks. Had the tent trailer hooked up to charge for a few days, but nothing that should have jacked it up this high.
Oh, yeah, there is something. The pellet stove quit working so been stuck using the electric heat. thats the issue

Back
Top Bottom