Increasingly Aggressive Rooster

JoeInPA

Songster
Aug 25, 2019
Western Pennsylvania
Just an update. I was out of town for a few days so I wasn't really able to keep a close eye on them, but I've been back now, and observing the chickens. In the morning the rooster is still a little jumpy, I think he's trying to mate and the girls aren't having it. When one gets close to him, he'll kind of jump at them and try to grab them, but they run away before he's able to. He seems to calm down later in the day.

The two feeders definitely seem to be helping as far as everything else. The chickens are sort of able to escape each other and still eat. The girls aren't laying eggs yet but the days are getting longer so hopefully that isn't far off.

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium member
7 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
Just an update. I was out of town for a few days so I wasn't really able to keep a close eye on them, but I've been back now, and observing the chickens. In the morning the rooster is still a little jumpy, I think he's trying to mate and the girls aren't having it. When one gets close to him, he'll kind of jump at them and try to grab them, but they run away before he's able to. He seems to calm down later in the day.

The two feeders definitely seem to be helping as far as everything else. The chickens are sort of able to escape each other and still eat. The girls aren't laying eggs yet but the days are getting longer so hopefully that isn't far off.
Does he chase them down when they run away?
A little chasing is OK....but should stop pretty quickly.
Overall sounds good...they often have a 'randy run' first thing in the morning

JoeInPA

Songster
Aug 25, 2019
Western Pennsylvania
Does he chase them down when they run away?
A little chasing is OK....but should stop pretty quickly.
Overall sounds good...they often have a 'randy run' first thing in the morning
Not really. He might chase them for a step or two, but generally I would say no. He has definitely backed off a lot in regards to food and his gatekeeper routine at the pop door.

JoeInPA

Songster
Aug 25, 2019
Western Pennsylvania
Okay, bit of a relapse this morning. I took a video to hopefully show what's going on. This wasn't the worst of it but by the time I got my phone out he had settled a little. He was chasing them and not letting them go. They were flying all over. He didnt actually catch any of them but the chasing was pretty bad. Lots of flapping and squawking. I wasn't sure how to intervene so I let it go, but I'm getting worried I may have to get rid of the rooster.

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium member
7 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
He was chasing them and not letting them go.
He didnt actually catch any of them but the chasing was pretty bad
Did the worst happen right after you let them out of the coop?
So just kept up the chase but didn't grab hold and pin them down?
The girls didn't look tooo stressed here....and he's just dancing and feinting.
Alarming for you, but I don't think it's too bad.

Trish1974

Araucana enthusiast
Mar 16, 2016
North Central IN
My Coop
My Coop
Okay, bit of a relapse this morning. I took a video to hopefully show what's going on. This wasn't the worst of it but by the time I got my phone out he had settled a little. He was chasing them and not letting them go. They were flying all over. He didnt actually catch any of them but the chasing was pretty bad. Lots of flapping and squawking. I wasn't sure how to intervene so I let it go, but I'm getting worried I may have to get rid of the rooster.

Honestly, that video didn't look too bad to me. I know you said you didn't capture the worst of it, but I would think the hens would be hiding in the coop or huddled in a corner cowering from him if his attack was that bad. I just see attempts at mating (the circling and wing drop).

JoeInPA

Songster
Aug 25, 2019
Western Pennsylvania
Did the worst happen right after you let them out of the coop?
So just kept up the chase but didn't grab hold and pin them down?
The girls didn't look tooo stressed here....and he's just dancing and feinting.
Alarming for you, but I don't think it's too bad.
Yep the worst happened right after I let them out of the coop. He kept up the chase for a minute or so but I don't think he was able to catch any of them. He cornered the one but she flew up and over him. The others were still inside the coop waiting at the pop door.

Latest posts

Top Bottom