Increasingly Aggressive Rooster

Here is what I do with my aggessive roosters.

Crock-Pot-Whole-Chicken-21.jpg

I didn’t see anything concerning there. As Aart said, it’s just the morning Randy run. If you could make their run a little bigger, they could get farther away from him. (I’m more concerned about the chicken wire and open top on the run..)

The top on the run isnt open. Its roofed with corrugated polycarbonate panels. The chicken wire hasn't been an issue yet. It was a rookie mistake, I should've used hardware cloth but didn't even know the difference at the time. I have some rebuild plans for spring.

IMG_20191201_151123589.jpg

Not time for that here yet. :rolleyes:

No not time for that, and I don't butcher them anyways. I list them in Craigslist for free if I need to get rid of one and someone else can do that. Chicken is cheap meat.

Yeah, yeah, I'm a city boy :rolleyes:

The top on the run isnt open. Its roofed with corrugated polycarbonate panels. The chicken wire hasn't been an issue yet. It was a rookie mistake, I should've used hardware cloth but didn't even know the difference at the time. I have some rebuild plans for spring.

View attachment 2010213

No not time for that, and I don't butcher them anyways. I list them in Craigslist for free if I need to get rid of one and someone else can do that. Chicken is cheap meat.

Yeah, yeah, I'm a city boy :rolleyes:
The chicken wire is an easy fix. Just get some hardware cloth or welded wire and put right over the top of it. Because once it becomes a problem, it’s too late.

Joe, remember puberty when you were a kid ? That's where this cockerel is - totally hormonal. In a flock with mature hens he would be given an attitude adjustment. If his behavior is bothersome, separate him from the flock until the hens are laying and willing to mate. His behavior is typical of a cockerel in this situation.

I'm much more concerned about your chicken wire! The cockerel is doing fine, IMO.
Mary

The chicken wire has to hold until spring when I can go back and get things done the way I want. The chickens are in the coop every night and that is locked up like Fort Knox, nothing could in there without opposable thumbs and a lot of muscle.

The only daytime predators I have are hawks and they haven't even made an attempt since I installed the polycarbonate roof which was in August or September. They did make an attempt before I had the roof on (I had chicken wire over the top) and they couldn't get in.

Come spring I'm going to make the run walk-in height and use hardware cloth in place of all the chicken wire.

Give the guy a break....he's know about the chicken wire for months, can't get it fixed yet, don't beat a dead horse.

Lol thanks aart. Yeah I've known about the chicken wire for some time. In 6 months I haven't lost a bird yet so I can't say it hasn't done it's job. We're in the dead of winter right now, it's either too cold or too muddy to do any real work, but as I've said, I've got some upgrades planned for spring now that I've had some experience learning what works and what doesn't.

Back
Top Bottom