Incubate or leave to nature?

JSO

Chirping
May 13, 2021
My next newbie question:
The peahen we got last week laid an egg on the ground just an hour or two after being introduced to the run.
By the end of the day I'd finished clearing out the old stable and moved them in there, and she laid another egg in a dark corner the next day. So I sorted out a box (just an an old drawer on the ground in the corner where she'd laid that second egg) and put the first egg in there with it. Two days later she laid a third egg in there. But no more since.
Question: do we retrieve all three eggs and incubate them, or leave them in case she's going to go on a lay a whole clutch and then maybe sit on them? Worried that if we leave them much longer, that first egg at least will be too old to be viable?

I'd put them in an incubator. The move to a new home may have caused her to take a break in her laying cycle. She may very well start to lay again in a couple of weeks.

Sage advice from Sourland. We set our eggs weekly but in reality, it normally takes a hen about two weeks to set enough eggs to go broody so the first couple is a tossup as to being viable after ten days or so. Hens lay about every other day until a clutch is achieved, that being six to ten eggs. In your case, the move should throw her off and I doubt she would set those eggs in a new environment. If you have a broody chicken hen I would opt for that over an incubator.

Sage advice from Sourland. We set our eggs weekly but in reality, it normally takes a hen about two weeks to set enough eggs to go broody so the first couple is a tossup as to being viable after ten days or so. Hens lay about every other day until a clutch is achieved, that being six to ten eggs. In your case, the move should throw her off and I doubt she would set those eggs in a new environment. If you have a broody chicken hen I would opt for that over an incubator.
I think I was encouraged by the fact that she laid them here despite the move, and the third one was intentionally in the nest box alongside where I'd placed the first two (even if those had just been dropped, as it were).
there was a broody hen a few days ago, but I had to move her as part of the rearrangements for the peafowl. I'll have to check. She may still be broody somewhere else. If so, yes, might be a good compromise. Or maybe we're not in too much hurry for peachicks, so can just wait and see how things go with the pair.

Back
Top Bottom