Incubating and hatching eggs chat thread!!

Pics
A dozen Bantam Cochin from Laurel Meadows ... I missed one with the air cell on the smaller end. When I flipped it, it was a blood ring. 11 went into lockdown... Yesterday was day 20, last one hatched this morning. Helps to have fertile eggs!

I had 18 shipped. No detached air cells. I think I had three or four that were slightly wobbly, but I set upright and didn't turn the first 24 hours, then tilted the next 48 hours and by day 4 those that were slightly wobbly firmed right back up. Only one did not show any signs of development. 3 were very early quitters, blood ring by day 3. 14 went into lockdown and 12 of those hatched beautifully healthy chicks. My breeder's name on here is @RubyNala97. Awesome lady to deal with. Just have to catch her when she has the extra eggs to sell.

Yes I was planning o get some from her. I believe she has blues & black silkies ?

20170623_071252.jpg

Hello all you clever people!

I've read so much on this forum about humidity, candling, embryo development, etc. And it's been exciting putting my first ever chicken eggs into the Brinsea incubator.

One thing I don't know is: What day is day 21? It was a Thursday evening when I set 7 eggs, and after 14 days only 1 wasn't developing. Sunday night the eggs started to jiggle and the automatic turner stopped on Monday. I topped up the water pots, took out the turning disc, put in a rubbery shelf liner and am in lockdown with the 6 developing eggs.

Now, however I'm wondering whether the Brinsea may have been set incorrectly and should day 21 be Thursday? Lockdown Monday lunch-time feels too soon.

Should 21 days mean: set eggs Thursday, likely hatch Thursday?

Back
Top Bottom