Incubating and hatching

Leanne2403

In the Brooder
Aug 11, 2020
Morning,
It's our first time hatching eggs we are currently on day 21, 1 of our eggs hatched early hours of this morning. Our other 3 have no signs of pipping or anything. How long do we leave them before checking if we have any issues.
Many thanks

I don't touch mine until at least day 22-23.
Give them time. Most of mine hatch late day 21. Don't expect them all to hatch at the same time.

It can also take over 24 hours from the first external pip, so be patient.

When your hatched chick has dried and fluffed up you could candle if you wanted to, you might be able to see if they have internally pipped. Have you heard any chirping? I personally wouldn't stress just yet. Have you counted days correctly. Some people make the mistake of counting day 0 as day 1so their chicks aren't actually late but on time. Some chicks will hatch a little later. Day 22, 23.

When your hatched chick has dried and fluffed up you could candle if you wanted to, you might be able to see if they have internally pipped. Have you heard any chirping? I personally wouldn't stress just yet. Have you counted days correctly. Some people make the mistake of counting day 0 as day 1so their chicks aren't actually late but on time. Some chicks will hatch a little later. Day 22, 23.
Hi thank you, be put them in 22nd July about 11am we have a mix of buff Orpington and silver laced bantam, one of the buffs have hatched and doing well. Had to just now move to brooder though as we only have a small 4 egg incubator and didn't risk damage to chick or other eggs 😊

An easy way to check your counting is that the day of the week you set them is the day of the week the 21 days are up. You set them on a Wednesday, the 21 days are up on a Wednesday. Yours is a real common mistake on here.

For many different reasons they don't all hatch at the same time. If mine are a day early or late I consider that right on time. That's with an incubator or under a broody hen.

Congratulations in the one chick and best of luck on the rest.

Congratulations i only candle occasionally but after day 18 they go on lockdown then keep an eye on inc from outside. I made mistake nt classing day 0 as day 1 easily done 😂💋

Back
Top Bottom