Incubating and Hatching

I'll withhold any ideas about making a safety hole - my knowledge is very limited on this detail and I don't want to suggest anything that might kill a still viable chick, or cause one to explode in your face (I've had that happen! ewww). Hoping others with more knowledge will jump in...

I can suggest you try a "water candling". Get a cup of warm water. Check the egg carefully for any hairline cracks - don't candle if it has. Drop the egg into the water. Let it settle (it will float), then watch the surface of the water for any movement or vibration. Check this thread - there's a link to a video within it.
Just realized I forgot to include the link:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/water-candling.966706/

It sounds like you already got some great information. I also agree that it's definitely from the humidity being too high during early incubation. This can cause several complications, including sticky chicks, which basically makes it difficult for the chicks to rotate properly in the egg to get in position for hatch or to zip out of the shell. In other words a high percentage of malpositions and chicks that pip but never zip.

Hatching early is more likely to be from temps being too high. In a still air incubator there are more hot and cold spots than in a forced air incubator so that could explain why some hatched early and others didn't.

It sounds like you already got some great information. I also agree that it's definitely from the humidity being too high during early incubation. This can cause several complications, including sticky chicks, which basically makes it difficult for the chicks to rotate properly in the egg to get in position for hatch or to zip out of the shell. In other words a high percentage of malpositions and chicks that pip but never zip.

Hatching early is more likely to be from temps being too high. In a still air incubator there are more hot and cold spots than in a forced air incubator so that could explain why some hatched early and others didn't.
Hi thank you very much for your advice.
What do you think it’s the best course of action to help the remaining eggs? Day 22 today. Should I just wait or drill air hole? Thanks.

Hi thank you very much for your advice.
What do you think it’s the best course of action to help the remaining eggs? Day 22 today. Should I just wait or drill air hole? Thanks.

If you have already read through the assisted hatch articles that were posted and you decide to assist them you could open the air cells to see what's going on and gently apply ointment to the membrane with a q-tip. The ointment would both make the membrane translucent so you can see if all of the blood vessels are absorbed and it also prevents the membrane from drying out if the chick isn't ready. Were they internally pipped when you candled them?

Thank you again.
I candled 3 eggs and created air holes 2hrs ago. Heard nothing. I’ll now proceed to check more inside, can I use olive oil, almond oil, or avocado oil? Or I have organic pure coconut water?

Hi CluckNDoodle
I just opened one eggs air holes and saw there’s water inside the membrane… could it be possible that’s already drawn?

Pls see photo

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom