Incubating and Hatching

jli22182

Chirping
11 Years
Jul 11, 2011
Hi I had been hatching chicks since kids were young for a while but haven’t done it for 10 years. My old records was like 90-100% hatching rate.
I put in 20 eggs (ranging from 7 days old to a day old) in the incubator on 7/9. One was so early that it peeped on 7/26 but did not manage to come out all the way. The next 5 chicks (one I helped) came out on 7/27. Two peeped the same day but died inside. I never experienced such high death rate!
And now there are 12 eggs still in the incubator. Today is day 21. I plan to wait a few more days.
The humidity level was kept at 60 to 70% the whole time and increase to 80% for the other few that were hatching. It may contribute to hatching late? But why the other 8 peeped early?
Any advices please! Thank you.

It sounds like you already got some great information. I also agree that it's definitely from the humidity being too high during early incubation. This can cause several complications, including sticky chicks, which basically makes it difficult for the chicks to rotate properly in the egg to get in position for hatch or to zip out of the shell. In other words a high percentage of malpositions and chicks that pip but never zip.

Hatching early is more likely to be from temps being too high. In a still air incubator there are more hot and cold spots than in a forced air incubator so that could explain why some hatched early and others didn't.

Hi CluckNDoodle,
Thank you so much for your advice and kind words… it’s truly the worst and the safest hatching I ever experienced…

Also special thank-you to Barnyardchaos, Eggsighted4life, and wyorp-rock for your timely helpful advice!!!

You all helped me greatly. I truly appreciate it!

Too high on the humidity for days 1-18. It should be at 40-50% max - and some people recommend even less. Then bump it up to 70% +/- for the last 3 days.

Why it matters: The egg shells are porous. There needs to be some evaporation in the first 2-1/2 weeks so the air cell grows large enough for the chicks to breathe during hatch, but before they've externally pipped. If the air cell is too small, they could miss the target or simply suffocate or drown inside the shell just before hatching. It's too late to reduce humidity now - they could end up shrink-wrapped or fail to get out of the shell.

You may need to read up on this article, ASAP:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

I don't know for sure about early or late hatching, but think I've read somewhere that higher temps in the incubator can contribute to an early hatch, and lower temps to a late hatch.

Can you post a photo of your setup? How consistent has the temperature been kept? (99.5-degrees?)

Pls see photo

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 10
Final report:
2 internal zip but no movement now.
2 look viable with blood vein but no movement
The rest are full of liquid.
My painful experience of rising/keeping humidity high thinking it would prevent shrink wrap…
So sad and sorry… little chicks…

Hi Thank you very much for your help!
I have two thermostats inside the still air incubator. I’m pretty sure that the temp has been at 98.5-99.5. But what you said is pointing to a total failure for the other remaining 12 eggs because the humidity level inside the incubator has been too high. I felt so bad…
I really like the 5 chicks and was hoping to get more of them, a mix of a beautiful calico silkie rooster and Araucana hens.

It sounds like you already got some great information. I also agree that it's definitely from the humidity being too high during early incubation. This can cause several complications, including sticky chicks, which basically makes it difficult for the chicks to rotate properly in the egg to get in position for hatch or to zip out of the shell. In other words a high percentage of malpositions and chicks that pip but never zip.

Hatching early is more likely to be from temps being too high. In a still air incubator there are more hot and cold spots than in a forced air incubator so that could explain why some hatched early and others didn't.
Hi thank you very much for your advice.
What do you think it’s the best course of action to help the remaining eggs? Day 22 today. Should I just wait or drill air hole? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom