Incubating and Hatching

Hi thank you very much for your advice.
What do you think it’s the best course of action to help the remaining eggs? Day 22 today. Should I just wait or drill air hole? Thanks.

If you have already read through the assisted hatch articles that were posted and you decide to assist them you could open the air cells to see what's going on and gently apply ointment to the membrane with a q-tip. The ointment would both make the membrane translucent so you can see if all of the blood vessels are absorbed and it also prevents the membrane from drying out if the chick isn't ready. Were they internally pipped when you candled them?

2nd egg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 9
I have two thermostats inside the still air incubator. I’m pretty sure that the temp has been at 98.5-99.5.
Still air should be 101.5. measured at the top of the eggs.

Cause for hatch failure starts around page 52 of the following link.. one of my favorite hatching resources..

https://www.hubbardbreeders.com/media/incubation_guideen__053407700_1525_26062017.pdf

Something is a miss with your low temps and yet early hatchers.

The ones I've seen so far do look dead.

Sorry for your experience. Hopefully we can help get it figured out. :fl

Of the images you shared these all look like they passed prior to hatch day which is why you see a lot of additional fluid from the body decomposing. The chick that pipped you would see the beak moving while breathing if it were alive. I'm sorry it has been such a difficult hatch for you.

Also, when using a still air incubator I never had to set it above 100F to get an average of 99.5F and I avoided the hot and cold spots but you can also rotate the eggs around so none of them are sitting in one place too long. Using a still air incubator is a bit more challenging than a forced air incubator.

Final report:
2 internal zip but no movement now.
2 look viable with blood vein but no movement
The rest are full of liquid.
My painful experience of rising/keeping humidity high thinking it would prevent shrink wrap…
So sad and sorry… little chicks…

I would wait a bit longer for the 2 with active blood vessels just to be sure but as mentioned above, don't get your hopes up because if they're alive they're unlikely to hatch because you should at the very least see the beaks even if they haven't pipped internally, otherwise they're malpositioned.
I know these are the worst learning experiences when hatching chicks.
Sending big hugs! :hugs :hugs :hugs

Hi thank you very much. I read the article you sent but my question is how to judge if the chick is still alive in the egg. I don’t hear any chicks chirping from inside… should I start anyway with an air hole?

I'll withhold any ideas about making a safety hole - my knowledge is very limited on this detail and I don't want to suggest anything that might kill a still viable chick, or cause one to explode in your face (I've had that happen! ewww). Hoping others with more knowledge will jump in...

I can suggest you try a "water candling". Get a cup of warm water. Check the egg carefully for any hairline cracks - don't candle if it has. Drop the egg into the water. Let it settle (it will float), then watch the surface of the water for any movement or vibration. Check this thread - there's a link to a video within it.

Back
Top Bottom