Incubating and Uncharted Territory

Have you ever experimented with hatching?

• Yes

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • No

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
99 for temp is not too high. Does it have a fan? I keep mine at 100 but it has a fan. Humidity is supposed to be higher for lockdown n hatch. If outside breaks the inner membrane will dry out and can be too hard for them to get thru if they haven't broke it and they can't breathe. Was it's lil beak up near the air sac or was it upside down? They will suffocate like that too. Sometimes they just have trouble with the transition from breathing inside shell to outside air. Can be lots of things. Birth is hard whether hatching or otherwise.

99 for temp is not too high. Does it have a fan? I keep mine at 100 but it has a fan. Humidity is supposed to be higher for lockdown n hatch. If outside breaks the inner membrane will dry out and can be too hard for them to get thru if they haven't broke it and they can't breathe. Was it's lil beak up near the air sac or was it upside down? They will suffocate like that too. Sometimes they just have trouble with the transition from breathing inside shell to outside air. Can be lots of things. Birth is hard whether hatching or otherwise.

Beak was up near air sack. I actually candled and saw it through the membrane on day 18 or 19(Sunday). I thought it would hatch on Sunday night. I didn't want to move it or check it anymore but I wish I would have. I wonder if I should try hatching with them sitting straight up instead of lying sideways next time.

It's almost time for you! Anything yet? Still moving? On day 8 of my new set and all 11 chickens are alive and all 4 ducks... :D

Nothing yet... getting anxious...lol. one is moving around the other nothing. It just started really rocking this evening so thinking they're just a bit late from the day my temp went down. I hope, anyway.

Nothing yet... getting anxious...lol. one is moving around the other nothing. It just started really rocking this evening so thinking they're just a bit late from the day my temp went down. I hope, anyway.
You must have read my mind lol. I was thinking of you nd yours last night. I just got 4 new babies from the feed store. 2 buffs and 2 barred. They have been keeping me occupied while I leave my eggs alone lol. I candled yesterday..day 10 and they are all still moving and growing with one very questionable dark egg. If i was you I would candle nd make sure they are still moving. After what I went thru I don't believe in the lockdown thing anymore. I also wear gloves now instead of just washing my hands. If u see an internal pip like i did be prepared to help in the next 24 hours bc if it pips on the bottom it may suffocate too. I read a few other ppl saying the same thing that happened to me happened to them. I guess they can't get air that way..keep me updated.

If they pip on wrong end they will suffocate it does happen and lots of times needs assistance hatching if that happens. I know one is still alive cuz the egg is moving around and responds when we talk to it starts to move around...and lockdown is needed to keep humidity up and to help them to get in proper position. If humidity drops and it does if you don't lockdown then it takes awhile to get back up and if pipped membrane candry out very quickly, shrink wrapping chick making it unable to move and hatch. I have to open mine to turn duck eggs but check very closely to ensure no pips and do it quickly.

If they pip on wrong end they will suffocate it does happen and lots of times needs assistance hatching if that happens. I know one is still alive cuz the egg is moving around and responds when we talk to it starts to move around...and lockdown is needed to keep humidity up and to help them to get in proper position. If humidity drops and it does if you don't lockdown then it takes awhile to get back up and if pipped membrane candry out very quickly, shrink wrapping chick making it unable to move and hatch. I have to open mine to turn duck eggs but check very closely to ensure no pips and do it quickly.
Yea its tricky. I will be buying another incubator for hatching soon. Because next time I won't take a chance. I wish I could create something where the eggs could be free on all sides but still have room to hatch..I think I'm going to try it with some cardboard with cut out holes big enough for the eggs to lay sideways but still be held up off the floor of the incubator. I live in a humid part of Texas so I never have to worry too much about humidity drops luckily.

Yea its tricky. I will be buying another incubator for hatching soon. Because next time I won't take a chance. I wish I could create something where the eggs could be free on all sides but still have room to hatch..I think I'm going to try it with some cardboard with cut out holes big enough for the eggs to lay sideways but still be held up off the floor of the incubator. I live in a humid part of Texas so I never have to worry too much about humidity drops luckily.
I use the tray from my incubator on bottom of cooler incubator I made so they sit up off of floor a bit. I don't have auto Turner. From what I've researched duck eggs need more of an actual turn like hand turning, but it's all a learning curve with different experience and different ideas of how it should be done.

Back
Top Bottom