1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Incubating call ducks...HELP

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MissD, Mar 20, 2012.

1. MissD

MissD Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2009
    Hi! So I am a teacher and we have 3 call ducks in our mini brinsea advance. I originally set it for 28 days but as I have been reading it looks like calls hatch sooner. Day 28 would be March 28th. The automatic turning is set to stop on the 25th I believe. Should I stop it sooner? When? We set them on March 1st at around 1:00 pm. Thanks!!

2. country_girl011

country_girl011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    ohio
    call ducks hatch on day 25-26.
    it needs stopped 3 days before that.

3. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    MissD, call ducks are some of if not the hardest domestic ducks to hatch well via incubation. Be prepared with so few eggs to not have any hatch, or just 1. Have you candled the eggs to know if they are developing?

4. MissD

MissD Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2009
    Hi. Yes they are all moving inside the eggs. I have hatched them before and we had 3 out of 15 hatch. I just used the 28 day time table last time and was thinking maybe thats why most of them didn't hatch.

5. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    get frustrated when they make it all the way out of the shell and then die...like so many of them do. Tonight i lost one had the membrane all stuck to the back of his head and one of the eyes and was trying to make a little more comfortable but it just lost all life and went limp laying there like it didnt want to live anymore , and then you get the ones that zip the shell in a few hours and are all fluffed out ready to go jetting on thier two little feet....then the ones that are so round they always wind on thier backs....i have to check constantly with new ones that do this until they digest the yolk and are no longer so round. lost 2 this year over the night time because they flipped onto thier backs and died

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by