incubating chicken eggs final 3 days

serenity8327

Chirping
Sep 17, 2019
I'm on my 3rd attempt at incubating. The first attempt was not planned I had a broody hen doing the work we were about 16 days in when a coyote got ahold of her. I brought the eggs inside but was not prepared or set up. long story short the eggs got to hot. second attempt was a homeade incubator that I couldnt get the humidity high enough at the end. So I bought a forced air incubator. this time I just went into lock down 12 eggs 7 of which I could definately see peeps moving the other five are very dark eggs so I cant tell if they are moving or not. my question is I have the humidity at 70 and the temperature is 99. is this alright or should I come down to 98 on temperature or do I go down a degree when they start pipping. this is where I'm confused.

I'm on my 3rd attempt at incubating. The first attempt was not planned I had a broody hen doing the work we were about 16 days in when a coyote got ahold of her. I brought the eggs inside but was not prepared or set up. long story short the eggs got to hot. second attempt was a homeade incubator that I couldnt get the humidity high enough at the end. So I bought a forced air incubator. this time I just went into lock down 12 eggs 7 of which I could definately see peeps moving the other five are very dark eggs so I cant tell if they are moving or not. my question is I have the humidity at 70 and the temperature is 99. is this alright or should I come down to 98 on temperature or do I go down a degree when they start pipping. this is where I'm confused.
I leave my temperature alone. Same as the first 18 days, but 70 is kinda on the high end for humidity. 60 - 65 is a better range for hatching. it'll go up once they start hatching and if it gets too high it'll turn the albumin into glue.

shannonr I already took out the turners they are on their side in the hatching tray. my book that came with it was confusing on the temperature it said to drop it by a degree in the hatching stage. i.just didnt understand of it's the last 3 days of lockdown or after they start pipping. I ran it at 99 the first 18 days. it's still there now

shannonr I already took out the turners they are on their side in the hatching tray. my book that came with it was confusing on the temperature it said to drop it by a degree in the hatching stage. i.just didnt understand of it's the last 3 days of lockdown or after they start pipping. I ran it at 99 the first 18 days. it's still there now
I think it should be fine the way it is.

my digital stuff is wrong on the machine so I use the digital one inside. I've confirmed the temp with 4 thermometers. just making sure everyone thinks this looks about right.

Attachments

• 20190917_124253.jpg
    20190917_124253.jpg
    324.5 KB · Views: 15
I don't know of any reason for you to reduce the temperature at this stage. Can you call the manufacturer and ask them why? It would be interesting to know their thinking.

If your incubation temperature for the entire incubation is a degree high they will hatch early but most should hatch. If it is a degree low they will hatch late but most will still hatch. At the stage you are in it is not that critical.

It will not hurt for you to lower the temperature a degree after lockdown, when they pip, or when they hatch if you wish. The body parts have developed and now it is basically down to hatching. When you take them out of the incubator and put them in the brooder they can handle temperatures down to 90 F, they are moving in that direction now.

At this stage the eggs are producing a fair amount of heat on their own so they can handle a drop in temperature. One possible reason for that recommendation to drop temperature is that, in commercial incubators where they might hatch 60,000 or even 120,000 eggs in one hatcher the temperature can rise so much just from that egg-generated heat that it cooks the chicks in the eggs. Their challenge is not to keep them warm enough but to keep them cool enough, especially in the middle if those stacks. You don't have those issues. You do not have tray upon tray stacked over yours.

I would like to add, that sometimes when you take the egg turner out of the incubator the temp will drop slightly on its own. The egg turner motor produces heat that helps warm the incubator.

Back
Top Bottom