incubating chicken eggs final 3 days

I had 2 one hatched all on it's own while I was at work. and is doing wonderful. another one cracked its shell but wasnt making any progress. so I assisted just a few minutes ago. it is still in bator although I'm not quite sure what to do with the cord or seems to be attached to. I figure it will knock it off on it's own. but if you guys have any other suggestions about how to remove it I'm all ears or eyes lol. pics to follow

if you have any guess on breed or would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 15690886332982944094701845695817.jpg
    15690886332982944094701845695817.jpg
    336.8 KB · Views: 9
it dries out then they detach from it, some take longer than others. that is safest way as trying to cut one that isn't dried out can cause a catastrophic bleed

this is the one that I helped out of the shell the inner membrane was solid white and so tight around him/her. i could hear it chirping inside and it had been 24 hours since it cracked the shell. so I moistened it and very carefully and slowly slipped it from around it. I let him/her push out of the bottom portion on it's own incase it was still absorbing the yolk. now it's still stuck to what appears to be an abillical cord. not sure if I should pull it off or let her do whatever they do.

Attachments

• 15690887274275395752033122459793.jpg
    15690887274275395752033122459793.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 9
this is the one that I helped out of the shell the inner membrane was solid white and so tight around him/her. i could hear it chirping inside and it had been 24 hours since it cracked the shell. so I moistened it and very carefully and slowly slipped it from around it. I let him/her push out of the bottom portion on it's own incase it was still absorbing the yolk. now it's still stuck to what appears to be an abillical cord. not sure if I should pull it off or let her do whatever they do.
Leave the umbilical cord alone

I know they say not to help them but if I hadn't it would have died like the other 5. it's a strong little chick with a good set of lungs. my other one would have been awful lonely the next month without a cuddle buddy.

I would just cut that off. It's not going to bleed to death. Obviously don't cut near the chicks body, just enough so it can walk and not drag around a shell. It just looks like hatching gunk to me.

im new to incubating and bought this incubator after problems with my homeade one. I am pleased with it as I do like to be hands off just peek so I love the top cause I can peek all I want without having to remove the lid. but I had problems with this incubator with the humidity alarm in the first 18 days it would wake me up constantly and go off often during the day. I thought it was faulty. but when I moved the eggs from the turning trays to the hatching rack I realized the tube that allows the water to fill the trays was pinched and wasnt letting the water drain. after I unpinched it I never had trouble again. I'm getting ready to do 24 more eggs in a week or so. since I only got 2 from this one. 12 weren't fertile 5 were early quitters
2 tried hatching at wrong end and drowned and 3 internally pipped but did not pip outer shell. it looked like 2 of those shrink wrapped and one internally pipped into a vessel as there was a large clot near its beak.

I didnt have any problems cleaning it out. I used wintergreen alcohol. I even took off the sides and cleaned the fans. I didnt have any problems with chicks getting stuck in the hatching tray but I lined it with paper towels cause I had read about it happening. my only problem with this incubator is the hose that let's the water in the trays doesn't drain like it should. so sometimes I have to open it to put water in which let's out some of the heat.
@serenity8327 I have the same incubator. I have realized the temperature after Lockdown is essential but chicks hatch even if it is a degree higher or lower. I have also read that at Lockdown the temp should be a degree lower. On that incubator though the lid does not close well, so you need to make sure it is properly closed. Also, be aware that once the chicks start hatching YOU DO NOT OPEN the incubator! That incubator loses humidity very fast and even if you open it for 2 seconds the humidity drops down significantly and the sensor does not react so fast.
Once all the chicks hatch let me know how clean this incubator... I found it challenging the first time. For your next hatch I would suggest you placing an extra plastic wire on the top that one that is already in the incubator, as the holes of the fabric one are too big and I once had a chick stuck and died in the holes. Here is the extra wire, which I made out of plastic building net left-overs.

View attachment 1913788

Back
Top Bottom