Incubating double yolk eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by minirexmom, Apr 30, 2009.

1. minirexmom

minirexmom Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2008
    This is a newbie question as I am pretty inexperienced with incubating chickens. Is it feasible to incubate double yolk eggs? If so, what is typically the result?

Thanks!!

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Typically, they do not survive. You must intervene at the exact right time and know what position the second chick is in, etc. It's not usually a winning proposition, though someone here did manage and it's on video.

3. Ruditchka

Ruditchka Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Its been done, but it appears it is harder for the chicks to break out of their shells during hatching due to their positioning, cramped quarters, and possibly even size and strength attributed to this. I think its cool to try, and their are videos out their of peoples experiences and successes of hatching double-yolkers. Good Luck![​IMG]

4. mwdh1

mwdh1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Indiana
    There have been a few successful hatches from double yolks. More often than not they don't make it for one reason or another.

5. minirexmom

minirexmom Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2008
    Thank you for your responses! That is helpful to know. [​IMG]

6. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    do a search on here for it, there are some really interesting threads concerning it. I am pretty sure I have a double embryo going on in this hatch . . . we'll see.

7. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    We have a doubl yolk duck egg in incubator right now. Put it in for fun, then read how difficult it can be to hatch. I watched the video and made DH watch it too, it's amazing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by