1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Incubating double yolked egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Inkheart, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Inkheart

Inkheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    Silly question probably - but out of curiosity - when there is a double yolked egg - hen goes broody or you incubate - are there twins in the egg?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Yes, and very often, one dies, or even both die, though at times they both make it. Trouble is, there is only one end of the egg that works well for pipping.

A search will turn up several accounts on here of incubating double yolked eggs.

BTW, there is no silly question on here. We all had to learn.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2010
  3. LaurenM23

LaurenM23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    King George, VA
    Yes, there are twin yolks, but that doesn't mean there will be two chicks. Many times, both, or neither develop. Rarely, both chicks will develop, but they seem to always need help hatching, just because of size issues. There are a few topics on them in here!

4. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    There not twins, they are genetically Different, But they would obviously be siblings if they both lived through incubation and hatch.

5. LaurenM23

LaurenM23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    King George, VA
    Quote:Very true! I thought the OP meant "twin" as in two...sorry for not catching that.

6. Inkheart

Inkheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    Thanks so much - i have not gotten a double yolk egg - but i had seen a post where someones first egg from their hen was a double yolker - and they showed it in the frying pan - and got me to thinking! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by