Incubating Duck Eggs

Psyduck2023

In the Brooder
Jul 24, 2023
Hey so I am new here but I purchased a lone duckling from the markets because I felt so bad for him being all alone in a cage there and was on the hunt for a second suckling ASAP, anyway a week went by and I started freaking out so I purchased 12 fertile duck eggs the crazy bird lady at the markets (the eggs had been washed) but they were also all laid within the week I bought them ( I bought them 22/07/23) I did candle them before placing them in the incubator but I couldn’t really tell what I was looking for. I didn’t have high hopes for these eggs going into it because of the circumstances but I figured I’d try. The normal day temp where I am is 26C - 30C sometimes higher and humidity is also high but we’ve been having some really cold nights lately like 10C and I had my incubator set on 37.7C but I also have a fridge thermometer in there just to monitor the temp aswell and it’s not reading the same the thermometer on the bator
Would the cold nights be affecting the bator maintaining temp ? Should I adjust it and go by the thermometer Because it’s highly stressing me out as I know temp changes are not good for eggs. At the moment the temp in the room I have the bator in is 23.2C and the temp of the bator going by the fridge thermometer is 37.2 C and the incubator is set on 38C sorry for the long post lol

:ya :ya :ya :welcome :ya :ya :ya
Room temperature can cause fluctuations or irregularities in the temp, but it should be ok. Good luck with your eggs!
Keep us updated please!

Room temperature can effect the incubator to some degree, but not a lot unless its really cold or really hot. It looks like from the temps you posted that the incubator should be just fine.
I live rural ( Out Bush) so the house and rooms aren’t very insulated so the room temperature does change drastically. I decided to just keep an eye on the temp and adjust accordingly so the temp stays consistent at 37.7C because the incubator was not coping. Went through some major temp changes and then resorted to moving it into my bedroom where I can keep the room temp consistent once I did this the incubator was consistent also.

I’m expecting a few losses in this batch of eggs as bad as that sounds but they were purchased as eating eggs they just happen to be fertile so I tried my luck and incubated them.

I’m going to candle them tonight and take notes as Tonight is Day 7 since I set them.
Maybe will post updates hahhaha

I HAVE BEEN SO BAD I am so sorry I haven’t been updating anyone, I decided to ditch one egg as nothing was happening to it so I don’t think it was fertile BUT it’s day 28 Today and So far 1/11 have Hatched and I can see cracks in about 2 more
#1 looks brown like a Khaki Campbell but it is still drying out lol

Back
Top Bottom