incubating duck eggs

Help! Having an issue with the last one. It's out of the shell but it is trailing sac and its belly look like a bald spot. Been like this for about 3 hours now. What should I do?

UPDATE-Sac has come loose, Belly still has a protusion where it was attached AND it has a deformed foot.

Last edited:
Ack- not sure. I was gonna say I've had them to come out trailing yolk remains but never for more than a minute or so. Can you post pics of the belly and foot?

His belly has scabed over and closed. His foot however is pretty much useless. I was thinking his other foot was bad also but it was just weak. I've been working on getting him to stand and he can now hop around a little. I will post a picture tomorrow.

Have you put any electrolytes and vitamins in the water? I swear by Sav-a-chick for the babes, seems to perk them right up.
If not, you can make a little 'correction boot' for it so to speak. Measure the foot on a piece of plastic - yogurt pot lid or something similar - cut it out, and use surgical tape to tape the foot onto it in it's correct position. Hopefully this should give him the support it needs to use the foot correctly.

Have not done the electrolites, will try that. Here is a pic of the leg. There is no way of straightening it out, unless I try with a whole lot of muscle which I'm not sure I can do (I get really queezy). It's not just the knee that is tight but the toes are all curled up as well.

He is doing really well otherwise. Is hopping around quite a bit, eating and drinking. Other duckies are accepting very well, not picking on him like I was afraid they might do. We've named him Nemo.

Oh how is Nemo doing? Our hatch day for our two Welsh Harlequins eggs is this Sunday. My first time incubating. I too am a nervous wreck. Please update us when you can.

My hatch day is a week from Friday, also 1st time incubating and am already pasing. Started putting my brooder together and am having a heck of a time getting the tempo right...Ugh

Oh how is Nemo doing? Our hatch day for our two Welsh Harlequins eggs is this Sunday. My first time incubating. I too am a nervous wreck. Please update us when you can.

Ohhh well I've had experience with a dove egg u can really tell If u hold it up to a light to see if there's a yolk or a duck in it it's kind of hard to see but if u can't tell just use an incubator.

Back
Top Bottom