Incubating ducks and chickens for someone

JudysMuscovy

Songster
Dec 26, 2015
Texas
What are your thoughts on how much to charge some one for incubating their eggs ?
How much do I charge?
I am thinking$1 a day for incubating and heat lamp use. And I usually have them for a week in the brooder until they pick up.
I am using my feed (which I had to buy some chick starter) and of course water and clean up daily so my time should be accounted for. Ducks are messier than chickens so charge the same for care? I need some suggestions.

I had my Muscovies incubate some ducklings I took them to meet their new owner at 3 days old and they went for 10.00 each.
Predator! :eek: :hmm

What are your thoughts on how much to charge some one for incubating their eggs ?
I won't risk incubating someone else's eggs in my bator. Too much possibility of disease that could have been passed to the embryo... not worth ANY amount of risk the future of my entire flock. I worked too hard to be where I am. :confused: ;)

Also ducks won't hatch the same day as chickens if set the same day... I don't know if their temp/humidity requirements are the same or not. And ducklings can eat chick feed but it must NOT be medicated.

Good luck! :fl

And ducklings can eat chick feed but it must NOT be medicated.
Sigh... This is not true, ducklings can have certain types of medicated feed. Feeds with amprolium and/or bacitracin are perfectly fine for ducklings. The problem is that chick feed does not have enough niacin for ducklings. :(

So the incubator is his and I would not risk using the same incubator for my own flock - I understand the bio security of my flock- so they are his eggs and his incubator- my time - food and electricity for incubating and brooding for a week after hatch

Predator?
Letting a broody hatch out offspring just to take them away is on par with predation... to me... :confused:

Sigh... This is not true, ducklings can have certain types of medicated feed. Feeds with amprolium and/or bacitracin are perfectly fine for ducklings. The problem is that chick feed does not have enough niacin for ducklings. :(
It was my understanding that due to the consumption difference the amprolium would be too high. I didn't know there were feeds with bacitracin inside available or what they would be used for.

Yes the niacin is also key.. and a good point as well. :thumbsup You can call the manufacturer to see what the level is since it isn't usually included on the analysis. The Purina flock raiser does have the correct level at 55mg/kg niacin, per their response when I inquired.

It was my understanding that due to the consumption difference the amprolium would be too high. I didn't know there were feeds with bacitracin inside available or what they would be used for.
The amount of amprolium in chick feed is perfectly fine for ducklings, and there are studies to back this up. What you won't find is a credible source that says which medications are toxic and what the side effects are, all you will find are the posts on forums and blogs from people parroting the myth and thus perpetuating it. Last I checked, the Purina website lists a *medicated* flock raiser. Amprolium and bacitracin are not FDA approved for use in waterfowl, but that does not mean they are toxic. The no medicated feed for ducklings is a myth.

es the niacin is also key.. and a good point as well. :thumbsup You can call the manufacturer to see what the level is since it isn't usually included on the analysis. The Purina flock raiser does have the correct level at 55mg/kg niacin, per their response when I inquired.
That's what I understand it to be, but it might be less if the bags of feed are old or have been stored incorrectly.

Back
Top Bottom