Incubating eggs for the first time.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cow bay rooster, Apr 30, 2015.

1. cow bay rooster

cow bay rooster Out Of The Brooder

So a month after having chickens I figured it was time to give incubating eggs a try :) I had picked up some second hand hens who were 20 months old and still laying well. ISA Browns and ISA Bovans. I found a RIR rooster at a shelter and we were ready to roll. The plan was to raise some hens before the ones I have now shut down production.

I ordered a Janoel 24 incubator on Ebay and after running it for a few days and getting the temperature stabalized I set 16 eggs. I was going too put 24 in but decided to try less in case I did something wrong. I didn't want to waste eggs for nothing.

[​IMG]

So long story short 7 eggs hatched so far, one made a pip but was at the small end of the egg and ended up drowning, one egg was not fertilized at week one and one egg was not developing any further (red blood ring). Presently I still have 6 eggs in the incubator of which 3 eggs have pips with beaks moving around in them, hoping to see another 3 chicks in the incubator come morning.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Yay!! Congrats and welcome to the group!!!

3. cow bay rooster

Thanks Amy :)

4. goodb

goodb Chillin' With My Peeps

It's always fun watching those little fuzz balls pop out. I often wonder how they fit in that little egg.

5. cow bay rooster

They are little contortionist lol I had to help a couple out that were facing towards the small end instead of the big end where the air bubble is. Their little shoulders are stuck and they couldn't squeeze their bodies out

6. cow bay rooster

Nice surprise this morning two more chicks had hatched over night.[​IMG][​IMG]

7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    [​IMG]

8. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    [​IMG]

9. cow bay rooster

Two more hatched this afternoon now taking the count to 11 chicks! Pretty happy for that success for my first attempt at incubating [​IMG]

I still have two eggs in the incubator but not holding my breath, I'll candle them tomorrow if they don't hatch just to make sure. But to have 11 out of 14 at lock down is a pretty successful hatch in my books.[​IMG]

10. RubyPriestess

RubyPriestess Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2015
    Aloha State
    Congratulations~! That is a rather good number if you ask me! Great success!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by