Incubating eggs from hens that have only just started laying

james w

In the Brooder
12 Years
Nov 6, 2007
Lucca, Italy
Hi,

My rhode island red hens have been laying for about a month. I guess laying was delayed by the shorter days of winter, but they didn't lay at all before the onset of winter. I was planning on incubating around 20-24 eggs but I wanted to know if there were any potential hazards in incubating eggs from hens that have only been laying for a relatively short period.

Thanks

The eggs are probably too small for a chick to develop to its full size. The yolk is probably too small to sustain a growing chick through devlopment. You need to wait until those eggs are full size and the pullets have been laying consistantly for a few months.

You'll have healthier more hearty chicks.

Hatching the first of the pullet eggs can leave with you chicks with serous problems if they make it hatch.

Please wait a few months before incubating your eggs. You'll be surprised to see how much the eggs improve and how much larger they will get.

Actually, the egg size is identical to the size of my grandmother's rhode island reds and I cannot notice any difference in yolk size.

I will investigate further, but as I wrote, the hens would have started laying months ago had it not been that our hens, grandmother's including, don't seem to lay in november and december.

I like to wait at least a month before setting the eggs. Several people say they have hatched chicks from the very first chicks. I like to wait until the hen get her sysem worked out. New layers might have more meat spot and those eggs won't hatch.

So I guess I will wait for a bit and continue inspecting the apperance and contents of the eggs in the course of eating them.

Thanks for the help

Really don't know a definite time frame but I usually wait till they have been laying about a month and have great luck..
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom