Incubating eggs,,How Long Before They start to walk?

i don't think so. normally they get up and walking pretty quick, they're prey animals, they have to. try giving it sugar water, i've read that can help them if they are weak.

I hate to even type this. We did the water and food mash. When we put her down and she tries to walk ..she scoots backwards. My husband tells me she just a few hrs. old and weak,,,,My gut tells me there's trouble...Any more suggestions, besides culling her,,,for now? Or should I give him time to catch up with what's going on? Thanks....

Some times with ducks it takes a while for them to learn to walk, same with goslings. Just make sure you have them on a grippy floor. Straw or hay works great for the first week or so. I wouldnt give them sugar water, as they really dont need it. If you want to give them something, give them some vitamins and electrolytes in their water for the first day or two.

ETA: She could have spraddle leg.

Last edited:
My one hatched duckie had that problem too - I left him in the bator for a day and even overnight, then when it didn't improve much I moved him to the brooder with horse bedding pellets as a bedding (Equine Fresh) but any grippy stuff, like Sundown said, would be good.

I think mine was a problem with humidity, maybe, as he was sort of squishy (which is what I named him
lau.gif
) but he is perking up great now - been in the brooder since this morning, and is more on his feet and getting better at picking himself up when he moves, instead of scooting.

He was my only duckie to hatch so he has a small chickie in there to keep him company - they seem to like each other very well. I figured if he had someone to give him a reason to move he'd be more inclined to strengthen his legs. If you have a chick (and no other ducks hatch) put him in with someone small enough not to walk on him and hurt him, but enough of a mover to get him to follow or move out of the way.

I would wait to cull the duckie until you've given her a day or two to perk up more. She may just need a little extra time to get her land legs.

meri

Thanks MoJo, That gives me hope. I will let it settle tonight...then deal with what I have in the morning. I do have a tiny Barnie that I can put her with...Thanks a BUNCH!!!!!

Quote:
Here ya go... Hope this helps ya decide
big_smile.png

Squishy at hatch - he was like this for a LONG time - worried me
09067fac.jpg

Squishy this morning - still pretty squishy - half the time his feet were curled up a little, too.
e4ea307a.jpg

Squishy just a few moments ago - not quite as squishy as before. I took 5 pics - this is the only one that turned out not blurry - he moves pretty fast for not having his legs totally yet. (eta - this is about 36 hours after hatch)
224a5869.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom