incubating eggs that have been in the fridge?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JimnTer, Jun 4, 2012.

1. JimnTer

JimnTer In the Brooder

Feb 16, 2012
    When I went down to feed tonight, I found that another one of my hens has gone broody. She bit me when I tried to check under her for eggs, which I normally ignore and check/take anyway but I figured she has at best 2 bantam eggs and maybe one large one. I would like to add a bunch more eggs under her but everything I have right now is in the fridge. I think it would probably be a waste of time to put these under her, but would like to hear what the rest of you think.

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Crowing

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    I woudnt put a bunch under her but you can take a few of the newest say 4 more let them sit over night and room temp to warm up and see if she will be accepting of you putting them under her tammrow , refridgerating does effect hatching eggs but people have done it with eggs sucsefully befor there own and others and even store bought eggs. Have fun.

3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Virtually all of the eggs I hatch were refrigerated first.

I would not stick them under her straight from the fridge though. Let them come to room temperature first.

4. loneace

loneace In the Brooder

May 2, 2012
    My broody silkie hatched 2 refrigerated eggs. Like you, I didn't think they would hatch, but out they came. They are still doing great.

5. JimnTer

JimnTer In the Brooder

Feb 16, 2012
    Thanks. I ended up buying a dozen eggs from someone locally. These had been refridgerated also, but I have them warming up and will put them under my hen in an hour or so. They will be due to hatch on the 26th. I have a duck setting right now that should be due about the same time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: