Incubating eggs to hatch about August 8th

Candled my shipped eggs. very disappointing. All the silkies were clear and of the 6 Orps, 2 obviously were. The other 4 were hard to see in but I think there was development. This leaves me with only 4 silkie eggs left.
sad.png

I feel your pain!

Good luck on your remaining eggs.

I just checked mine this morning and I have another exploded egg. I have never had an egg explode before this batch. Can someone give me an idea why they are exploding.

Is it because they are pheasant eggs and nearly impossible to candle? Is it because I bought bad eggs? Could they be older than the guy on craigslist advertised them to be?

I am tempted to just throw out every egg I am in doubt about, but I know I will kill some chicks doing that.

I am not sure what to do, BUT I know I cannot dither any longer and I have to go clean the incubator and eggs, again. (I just checked and came here to ask these questions and get rubber gloves before starting the horrid chore.)

Last edited:
I feel your pain!

I just checked mine this morning and I have another exploded egg. I have never had an egg explode before this batch. Can someone give me an idea why they are exploding.

Is it because they are pheasant eggs and nearly impossible to candle? Is it because I bought bad eggs? Could they be older than the guy on craigslist advertised them to be?

I am tempted to just throw out every egg I am in doubt about, but I know I will kill some chicks doing that.

I am not sure what to do, BUT I know I cannot dither any longer and I have to go clean the incubator and eggs, again. (I just checked and came here to ask these questions and get rubber gloves before starting the horrid chore.)
Sorry I have never had the exploding eggs either. All I know is that they are eggs that are not developing so basically they rot. Other than knowing which are not developing, not sure how you prevent it. It certainly makes it an issue when you have dark eggs.

I replied to the seller of my shipped eggs when I first received them to let him know they came in and told him I would let him know about progress. I also told him I had one cracked egg.

He wanted to know what "extras" his assistant had sent as he was out of town at the time of shipment. I responded that I got no extras only exactly what I ordered and the extra space was packed with styrofoam.

He also stated that he had learned that his silkie roos had died of the high temps while he was gone so he was interested if the silkie eggs were fertile.

When I responded that I got no extas, I haven't heard backfrom him.

I emailed him last night about the # of clears. I will be interested in his response esp. since he even stated that he wasn't sure they were fertile.

Just got an email back and he is going to re-ship!!! Aparently his assistant totally sent the wrong Orps as well. I got some of his "project" eggs. I thought I was finished hatching but looks like it will go on!!!

Got to love chicken math!
celebrate.gif

Just got an email back and he is going to re-ship!!! Aparently his assistant totally sent the wrong Orps as well. I got some of his "project" eggs. I thought I was finished hatching but looks like it will go on!!!

Got to love chicken math!
celebrate.gif
Yay!!!! That is a good seller!!!! The "fates" have decided you just need to keep hatching...can't fight that can you?
idunno.gif
I totally see how people go from "I'm just going to have a small flock" to "Million and one chicken owner here!" so fast....LOL!!! So glad you get another chance at hatching your silkies since you were so excited about them!!!!!

I feel your pain!

Sorry
hugs.gif
...I also have been fortunate enough to not have an egg explode...yet
fl.gif
but I do not envy you and your clean-up job
sickbyc.gif

This is my first time hatching eggs. I have 7 eggs and none of them have exploded yet
1f60c.png
I am VERY fortunate @calichicken

Exploding eggs!

The tip someone gave me....was take the eggs that are questionable, and try to segregate them from the rest. You could also put a paper towel loosely around any that you think might explode.

Of course I say that.... But in your case @duluthralphie since your eggs are so dark, are all of them giant questions?

I have found that eggs that start to develop then die (very common in shipped eggs) are more likely to explode.

So, it is likely that the shipping is to blame, not the shipper.

My last exploding egg was an almost fully developed chick. :sick

Exploding eggs!

The tip someone gave me....was take the eggs that are questionable, and try to segregate them from the rest. You could also put a paper towel loosely around any that you think might explode.

Of course I say that.... But in your case @duluthralphie since your eggs are so dark, are all of them giant questions?

I have found that eggs that start to develop then die (very common in shipped eggs) are more likely to explode.

My last exploding egg was an almost fully developed chick.
sickbyc.gif

I did not know partially hatched eggs would explode.

There was no shipper, I picked these up myself about 40 miles away. He tell me because it was so late in the season he was not sure how many would be fertile.

Exploding eggs!

Of course I say that.... But in your case [@=/u/297297/duluthralphie]@duluthralphie[/@] since your eggs are so dark, are all of them giant questions?

My last exploding egg was an almost fully developed chick. :sick

I did not know partially hatched eggs would explode.

There was no shipper, I picked these up myself about 40 miles away.  He tell me because it was so late in the season he was not sure how many would be fertile.

Not partially hatched, but definately partially incubated, and even mostly incubated.

Wow! If those are eggs you picked up, not shipped, I would talk to the seller, unless they were super inexpensive.

Back
Top Bottom