Incubating eggs to hatch about August 8th

Guess what????? I am joining the surprise hatch club!!!!! My broody Peep has a chick that hatched under her!!!! According to the lady who I picked up the eggs from, they should not have arrived until next weekend????? I'm thinking she mixed some dates up! Peep has 2 more eggs under her, but I think one is on the same timeline as the chick that hatched today and one is due next week...YIKES!!! Here is Peep and her new baby!!!Sorry hard to see but didn't want to upset momma!!!!

So sorry about the cracked egg issue.

I tend to get a moist paper towel and wrap the egg in that. Use WARM water for the paper towel.

I think one of the points on the assisted hatch article says to gently paint Betadine on the membrane since that will not dry out like water will.

My wife and I decided to "help" this one...It had been dead for a long time in the shell. Maybe a week or more... It was rotting already.

The first few clutches of eggs I hatched I was up pretty much the entire 24 hours, just took some quick naps but was constantly checking on them...

Now, I just check up every so often and let mother natures do it's thing...

I have a lone Guinea keet hatching today, he pipped yesterday (a power pip, pretty much cracked the egg in half length wise) but that is as far as it went... I check on it every few hours but it's not like the first few hatches were I would spend hours staring at it waiting for something to happen... I do still pick him up about every 4 hours and hold it to my ear and give it a tap with my finger nail to make sure he's still kicking inside though...

Which brings me to another question.... How long before I worry and start assisting them. I have read some threads they all urge patience, but,,,,,, I worry about all those with "pips" and nothing more happening.

My wife and I decided to "help" this one...It had been dead for a long time in the shell. Maybe a week or more... It was rotting already.

Which brings me to another question.... How long before I worry and start assisting them. I have read some threads they all urge patience, but,,,,,, I worry about all those with "pips" and nothing more happening.
Igive 24hrs after external pip. If noprogress I create a safe hole and give it another 12 hrs or so to see if progress happens. Can you hear the pips cheeping??

Congrats on your new babies!!! Post a picture when you get a chance :)

The black blobs are Augsburgers. The tiny yellow one is a Cubalaya. The larger yellows are Jubilee Orpingtons. The rest I have to wait until I get home from work to see what's hatched.
Laura

Last edited:
I am bad :oops: I give at least 24 hours from internal pip and 12 hours from external pip, but after that I just have to make the hole large enough so that I know it is breathing, and so I can see how the membranes look (full of blood, dry and stiff, or stuck to the chick). I then cover with a warm damp paper towel and put it back into the incubator for another four or so hours. Look, rewet the paper towel if needed, and pop back in, etc.

That article on assisted hatch is VERY IMPORTANT TO READ. My silly tablet will not let me easily link stuff... But it should pull up easily if you search here on BYC.

So ending the day and still no sign of the other 2 eggs hatching under my broody Peep...I am dying to know what's going on under there
barnie.gif
Maybe when I wake up the 2nd egg that looked like it was at the same point of development will hatch????? At least in a bator you can peek in the window and see what's happening....LOL!!! Not with a broody
he.gif

Momma Peep and her new baby
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom