incubating eggs

[COLOR=333333]Do Float Testing[/COLOR] [COLOR=FF0000]ONLY AFTER CANDLING and NO Internal pips and NO internal MOVEMENT or CHIRPING![/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]This procedure takes very little equipment Or time to do and Is Easy To Perform. If your egg is still viable, place back in the bator and wait![/COLOR] [COLOR=333333][COLOR=0000FF]https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/383525/float-testing-checking-egg-viability-for-late-or-overdue-hatching[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Hi Sally. I am totally new to this so just looking for further information on the floating test. I was just today an article today that said one should never wash dirty eggs but rather choose ones that are clean for incubation. The rationale was that because the shell is porous, wetting them increases the risk of introducing microbes and bacteria. Is the float test only done for post date chicks for that reason? Ie; thought is that if chick is viable such a late exposure to water won't make a difference? Thanks in advance for any info you might be able to share with this newbie! Deb

Hi Sally. I am totally new to this so just looking for further information on the floating test. I was just today an article today that said one should never wash dirty eggs but rather choose ones that are clean for incubation. The rationale was that because the shell is porous, wetting them increases the risk of introducing microbes and bacteria. Is the float test only done for post date chicks for that reason? Ie; thought is that if chick is viable such a late exposure to water won't make a difference? Thanks in advance for any info you might be able to share with this newbie! Deb
i wouldn't float test any thing i wanted to hatch even in the last few days i candle all of my eggs and on day 18 i candle them as i take the turner out of the bator if it doesn't look right i trash it and if i think its a good one i leave it in the bator

I have 6 Eggs under my hen, there hatching on the 9th, of April-There my first incubated eggs so I'm pretty EXITED!

So far i had hatched 4 chicks last Nov, but since Ive had no luck. Almost every duck or goose egg I place in the bater turned out not to be fertile. I had one in my first try with ducks, that was fertile but then died just days before hatching. And most recently I discovered 7 duck eggs being laid in my ornamental grass, so i took them and placed them in the bater. But i fear that my bater was peaking at 101.6, and i believe they cooked.

Good Morning everyone, KWS here.
Three weeks ago after my five goose eggs hatched, I loaded the bator with what a lot of folks would call "Mutt" chicken eggs. 35 to be exact, well this past weekend I had 31 hatch. For some reason the last four had fully developed chicks inside they just didn't pip.

I had forgotten how small chicken chics are compared to goslings, BUT... man are they ever cute!!

Back
Top Bottom