Incubating emu eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mychooks, Oct 7, 2009.

  1. mychooks

    mychooks Out Of The Brooder

    56
    0
    39
    Mar 20, 2009
    Live Oak
    Is it possible to adapt a small styrofoam incubator (forced air) with an extention to incubate emu eggs?
     
  2. Akane

    Akane Overrun With Chickens

    4,654
    32
    251
    Jun 15, 2008
    You'd probably be best off making one from scratch out of a large styrofoam cooler. Don't ask me the size. I've tried not to think about it because everytime I see those giant green eggs I tell my husband I want one.
     
  3. Laney

    Laney Chillin' With My Peeps

    787
    1
    141
    Mar 25, 2009
    Spring Hope, NC
    Now before you "want one" you have to think about fencing. I know it sounds crazy but before my husband would put up an inch of fencing on our property he asked us all the animals we could possibly want to put inside.

    His theory was that he was only going to put up a fence one time. He was not going out to reinforce it because suddenly we wanted Llama, or Emu or Giraffe!

    Surprisingly Emu and Ostrich take quite a bit of fencing. So before getting into these birds, I'd make sure you have the fencing to contain them.

    Laney
     
  4. swheat

    swheat The Bantam Barn

    Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    I would try it, put on the extension then check to see if it will hold a constant temp. I believe the Emu temp is 96 ?? (check I am not sure)
    If it hold temp...GO FOR IT [​IMG] You won't know until you try.
     
  5. Akane

    Akane Overrun With Chickens

    4,654
    32
    251
    Jun 15, 2008
    A place to put an emu is not a deterrent for me. I remake fences yearly. I've been running our horse stable since my grandma passed away when I was in junior high. Taking down a mile of fence and moving it so we could plant a different section as hay and use an old section of hay field as pasture is just a standard spring event here and usually 90% my job. The other 10% being someone to run the tractor and lift the bucket up and down while I wrap the logging chain around tposts to pull them out. I'd have an emu fence up in a week. When I got a puppy I had 1000' of field fencing up for my dog yard behind the house by the end of the weekend. My back hurt for the next week. [​IMG]
     
  6. mulia24

    mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

    i try to search emu on breed section, dumb, i think it's chicken.

    can't find it and search on google.

    OMG, they looks like T-rex with those sharp teeth.

    can't find them in my country. [​IMG]
     
  7. chickenbottom

    chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

    Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    aha i love emu look like giant chickens with alien eyes and feet like a velociraptor but i would think that making a bigger incubator would be better especially when hatching time comes
     
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by