1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Incubating Emu eggs

Discussion in 'Ostriches, Emu, Rheas' started by SuperPeacockman, May 26, 2011.

1. SuperPeacockman

SuperPeacockman Songster

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    I am getting very interested in Emus and I wanted to know if their are special requirements for incubating them, I looked on the GQF web site and they have egg trays that could go in my 1502. Would they be able to hatch in the hatching tray of a GQF? Also what temp should they be? Any other tips might be useful, and I know they lay in the winter, but I am getting ready ahead of time.

2. SuperPeacockman

SuperPeacockman Songster

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    I am also interested in Rheas, any tips about them? Also can Rhea and Emus jump? Could they be keep in a horse paddock?

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

they can jump very well but mostly only when very frighted, then they do a crash into, jump, flip over thing. 5ft or higher is best but if you raise them young and do not allow them to ever push a barrier over, then they are often kept in lesser heights. I often use corral panels, but one of my emu and wiggle under it if their is a hollow in the dirt... hehe. I could not get my cabinet bator to get down to the low humidity that they need (30% is hard in FL sometimes ) so I used a Hovabator kept temps at 96-97.

4. SuperPeacockman

SuperPeacockman Songster

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Would rheas be okay with corral paneling?

5. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I'm afraid I do not have rheas... yet, LOL but since from what I've seen they are similar to emus, only a little smaller, then I would assume so. The more property you have, the less concern of a high fence unless something chases them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by