Incubating / Feeding Japanese (Coturnix) - Newbie

minus10gmt

Songster
Oct 4, 2019
Big Island, Hawaii
Hi all, I'm new to quail. I've got 12 eggs coming, and I bought a Magicfly incubator. Two questions for anyone that can help!
  • The incubator temp is set at 37.2C (or about 98.9F), and humidity is set at 60. I'm using a thermometer/hygrometer and it's registering around 28.3C (around 82.94F). Humidity was down at 45, so I added a tiny bit of water (I live in a humid area) and the humidity has shot up to 66. Seems now humidity is too high. Should I go by the incubator or the thermometer? Not sure how to get this right! The wires are closed under the lid so a little kinked... not sure that would make a difference. Instant read thermometer from the kitchen shows about 97F! Another possibility is that it could take a long while for the incubator to reach an accurate or stable temp/humidity reading? I've only had it going for an hour or so.
  • Feed availability here is VERY limited. I can get broiler starter which I believe is 22-24% protein, and I can get dried meal worms (50% protein). If I grind up the meal worms and add a little - maybe I can bring up to the recommended 30%? Is this a good plan? Not sure about catfish food. The other option is ground up dried cat food (I have Kirkland brand).
Thanks... appreciate any help, I want these babies to thrive!

Attachments

• IMG_1261.jpg
    IMG_1261.jpg
    370.3 KB · Views: 4
Is your thermometer calibrated?
Is your humidity gauge salt tested?
60% is way too high imo.
Get it down closer to 30%.

Thank you for the reply. I've been reading in several blogs about raising Coturnix, that humidity should be between 50-60%. Even if I dry the incubator out, I won't be able to get it down to 30%, due to the humidity in the area I live in.

My gauge is something I bought on Amazon. There is / has been no testing or calibration done on the incubator or on the thermometer/hygrometer. Even my instructions for the device does not allow for this.

I'm starting to think this is all a huge mistake and I'll end up killing them.

I followed the 50-60% humidity on my first couple of hatches. I had a lot of curled toes a couple curled necks. Once I lowered humidity to 30%, I got much better hatch rates and far fewer curled toes.
Don't trust the temperature or humidity readings on your incubator. I have used 3 different incubators and those aren't right on any of them.

Take all the water out.

Give me a minute and ill be back with a link on how to salt test your humidity cage.

I followed the 50-60% humidity on my first couple of hatches. I had a lot of curled toes a couple curled necks. Once I lowered humidity to 30%, I got much better hatch rates and far fewer curled toes.
Don't trust the temperature or humidity readings on your incubator. I have used 3 different incubators and those aren't right on any of them.

Yikes! I lowered it to 30%. As for the readings on the incubator, I'm thinking I'll need a better thermometer/hygrometer (I'm using this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZP1LVE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) to get more accurate readings. I did the ice test on my instant read thermometer from the kitchen and it was accurate but this one doesn't even change temp when I try testing it. Of course I didn't completely submerse the gauge because that might ruin it.

Back
Top Bottom