Incubating guinea eggs, advice?

Liv's chickens

Songster
Nov 6, 2017
Southern Vermont
Hi everyone! I have recently found a couple eggs from my guineas a raised last year, and I’ve decided I’d like to incubate them. I’ve never incubated guinea eggs before. My incubator is the Hova-bator 1602N. I have the temperature set at 100° And it has stayed pretty stable, except it has occasionally dropped to 99° for a short time. One thing I read said they like the dry method. How dry is that exactly? I realized my humidity was down to 17%, and assumed this must be way too low so I added some water and it’s now upwards of 30%.

I have been turning them three times a day; 1 anti-clockwise, 2 clockwise, and 3 pointy-tip down. I have four eggs that are on day 2 and I just put in another three yesterday.

Any tips, suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Hi everyone! I have recently found a couple eggs from my guineas a raised last year, and I’ve decided I’d like to incubate them. I’ve never incubated guinea eggs before. My incubator is the Hova-bator 1602N. I have the temperature set at 100° And it has stayed pretty stable, except it has occasionally dropped to 99° for a short time. One thing I read said they like the dry method. How dry is that exactly? I realized my humidity was down to 17%, and assumed this must be way too low so I added some water and it’s now upwards of 30%.

I have been turning them three times a day; 1 anti-clockwise, 2 clockwise, and 3 pointy-tip down. I have four eggs that are on day 2 and I just put in another three yesterday.

Any tips, suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
First, save your eggs for a week before setting them.

I incubate my guinea eggs at 30% to 35% humidity for the first 25 days. I raise the humidity to 65% to 70% for days 26 through 28.

For incubation, eggs should always be pointy side down unless being incubated on their sides.

Read Hatching Eggs 101 by @Sally Sunshine

I agree with @R2elk , collect the eggs for a week before setting. Placing 1 or 2eggs a day or every couple of days means you'll have a staggered hatch...while possible to do, it is much harder to have a successful hatch.

Ok thank you! I’m sure that most of them are a few days old already, but I’m not so sure about the last three I put in. Because they are already in the incubator, though, I don’t want to take them out. I did store the first once’s for a couple days, but I put the next ones in because I had read that you don’t want them to get too old or else hatching rates will be low.

I agree with @R2elk , collect the eggs for a week before setting. Placing 1 or 2eggs a day or every couple of days means you'll have a staggered hatch...while possible to do, it is much harder to have a successful hatch.
Thanks for the information! Do you mean that when I’m incubating the eggs I should have them tilted downwards at all times even when I’m turning them?

Back
Top Bottom