Incubating guinea eggs question

trev1lov3

Chirping
Sep 28, 2016
What the latest anyones had guinea eggs hatch as far as how many days late. Ive hatched my first batchbof guinea fowl eggs and only had about a 25 percent hatch rate. Not only that but they pipped and hatched day 24 and the very early morning of 25. So it is now going yo have been day thirty at midnight tonight. I should probably toss them huh. Or has anyone had them later

Generally, (and there's always exceptions,) when hatching, what is going to hatch usually hatches within 48 hours from the first hatcher. I would candle and look for signs of life and eggtopsy if no signs of life.
My guinea hatch, I believe was done by day 26.

What were your temps? What kind of incubator? What was your humidity during incubation?

Well thats the thing kinda rushed into it didnt have a digital humidity and temp gauge just the thermometer the lil giant incubator came with. It has 3 water pools 1 big and two small to fill up for humidity and i tryed to keep water in the big 1 and one other til day 23 then i tryed to keep all 3 full planning on investing in a humidity guage at least soon.

Here's the thing. You need a checked accurate thermometer/hygrometer. If it's a forced air incubator 99.5 is what you want. If it's still air, 101-102F taken near the tops of the eggs is where it should be. Innacurate temps can make you or break you. I know first hand trusting an unchecked thermometer. Brand new and it was off almost 6 degrees. I use no less than 2 now. Humidity will also make it or break it. If the eggs don't loose enough moisture they will drown at hatch, become to large to turn and become malpositioned, or swallow extra fluid and die from aspiration after hatch. Too much moisture loss and you have the possibility of shrink wrapping.

I run 30% for most of my hatches and monitor air cells for adjustment. 70+% at hatch. I use this method: http://letsraisechickens.weebly.com...anuals-understanding-and-controlling-humidity

You don't need to invest in a lot $ for therm/hygrometers. Many use the reptile hygrometers from the pet stores that are a few bucks. The important thing is to validate the accuracy. Hygrometers can be salt tested for accuracy. I use the $20 accurite combos and a couple digital $5 springfields from the drug store.

Ok. thanks for the link and the little bit of insight. I had done a lot of reading before i didnt but i wish i would've came across that sooner. I am in florida and in this part of the year especially the humidity is 80-100% outside i had my incubation set up in a closed off room in my house so im wondering if maybe then dry incubation inside where there wont be any humidity then possibly just move thebincubator real quick to the garage on day 20ish? What if i had it set up in my garage where the outside air dpes get in would that be too much humidity already? Ill have to get the gauges n see

Back
Top Bottom