Incubating help please (very new)

Billsley

In the Brooder
Jun 28, 2020
West Sussex, UK
Hello,

We are currently on our second round of incubation, our first was a disaster and after our thermostat on our DIY incubator failed we had to finish the eggs in a borrowed incubator. All our eggs didn't hatch and one nearly did but died on trying to escape the egg. So we are trying again. We have a Janoel 12 incubator and have set the temp to 37.6. I have 12 eggs in the bator and have used a bottle cap of water to set the humidity to between 58-60%. my problem is this on the Janoel the CA setting which I read as being how we set up calibration for thermometers is showing -1.6 and the displayed temp is showing 37.6. I have a humidity and temp thermometer inside with the eggs and this is showing the temp as 35.2. Right now I don't know which to trust the gauge or the display on the incubator. Do I adjust for the difference i.e if the incubator shows 37.6 and my gauge shows 35.2, I Could adjust the CA to -4 making the thermometer and incubator the same. After the disappointment of the last hatch I'm worried and want to get this right.

Also the humidity is very high atm, showing 64% with only a bottle cap full of water in the incubator. what should I do as I have read very confusing and contradictory values for humidity. I'm already worrying and its only the second day of incubation.
20200628_134336.jpg 20200628_134347.jpg 20200628_134355.jpg

Please any advice would be greatly received

Last edited:
If the eggs have been in the incubator for at least 5 days candle them. If you see the tell tale veining of development, leave everything as is. Is 37.6 the recommended temperature for your incubator??

Its only day 2, Im just concerened that there is a 2.7oC difference from the incubator and thermometer and yes 37.6 is the recommended temp. Also the humidity is very high. I dont know what to do. 😢

Its only day 2, Im just concerened that there is a 2.7oC difference from the incubator and thermometer and yes 37.6 is the recommended temp. Also the humidity is very high. I dont know what to do. 😢
I'd go with the incubator reading, for now. Candle late on day 4-you should see some veining-look carefully. If you see no veining up the temperature to 38C if your incubator is not still air (has a fan) which is what my incubator recommends. 37.8 if still air.

Here in Tennessee the humidity is very high so I'm running the incubator dry. If the same is true for you, consider not using the water.

Keep in mind that anyones' advice on this may prove the wrong thing to do.

Back
Top Bottom