Incubating humidity level for button quail???

I have wee problem/question. I have been hatching chicken eggs for a while now without a hydrometer *gasping in the crowd* and my hatch rates have been anywhere from 100% 75% and 0% (when I try to hatch the double yolkers i get every now and then :/) it pretty much jumps all over the place the best hatch I had was when all 8 of my B.O.s hatched (I did have nine, but when alas i thought one of them didn't make it I opened it and well, he was alive. but then he did die.) my incubators have special troughs at the bottom and it has instruction on how to use them, so I never did get a hydrometer.(and now to the point) I will be hatching some quail soon, and i was wondering (by the way I have a Hova bator) is it really necessary? and i mean really???

UPDATE: 9 of my 12 eggs hatched!!!!!!
ya.gif
I think that the other 3 were not fertile. I will give them until later tonight before I do the float test and then know that I am done and can throw them out. I am in awe that I had a 75% hatch rate with my humidity level.

Thanks for all of your support! :)

Before you toss those others, do a float test. I had 1 button hatch 4 days after everyone else. In a bowl of 100 degree or so water, place the eggs into the water. If you have any high floaters you can toss those. Let the water settle and watch the eggs for about 60 seconds to see if there are any wiggles. Wigglers are alive.

I don't recommend float testing on cbbq eggs. They are just so small you can drown the chicks if they are in there. Also taking them out of the hatcher can cool them out and lessen their chance of hatching. 9 so far is great! I would leave the others in there a couple more days and then toss them out.

I set up my incubator 5 days ago and forgot to pull the air plug will my button quails still hatch with high humidity around %70 and should I pull the plug or leave it as is ?

I set up my incubator 5 days ago and forgot to pull the air plug will my button quails still hatch with high humidity around %70 and should I pull the plug or leave it as is ?
Button quail eggs like higher humidity than coturnix, but 70% is too high. If you can, get the humidity down to about 50-60%. It's still early enough in incubation that they should be okay.

Back
Top Bottom