Incubating mallards humidity

ashbash325

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2016
First time incubating eggs! I'm using the magic fly incubator set at 37.5C I'm confused about humidity. It really doesn't seem that warm inside the incubator, the water in the bottom is cold and there isn't any water drops or signs of evaporation of the water in the incubator. I bought a reptil hydro meter tonight, and haven't had a chance to put it into the incubator yet (incubating eggs on my desk at work) how do I lower/ raise humidity after I get a reading? Any tips please help!

I'd be more concerned about temp if the water seems cold to you. Those Magic Fly incubators are awful and I've never heard of anyone liking them. Have you used another thermometer to check that it actually is at 37.5 degrees in there?

As for changing humidity, it's all about surface area of the water. The greater the surface area, the higher the humidity. So for example if you find you don't have high enough humidity, adding a damp paper towel would boost it. But if you have too much, you need to lower the surface area, such as by emptying a water channel.

I'm buying another thermometer today. The hydrometer is reading 60% how do I get the humidity up? This morning there was small amounts of condensation on the inside of the incubator.

I'm buying another thermometer today. The hydrometer is reading 60% how do I get the humidity up? This morning there was small amounts of condensation on the inside of the incubator.

For the first 25 days you don't want the humidity higher. In fact 60% is too high. You want it more around 40-50% and watch the air cells to make sure they develop properly. If not, then you make adjustments.

As I said, to raise humidity you increase the surface area of the water, such as adding a damp paper towel, another jar of water, etc. To lower it you decrease the surface area of the water.

Everything is perfect! 12/13 eggs were fertile. Im just scared hatching day is going to come and none of them will hatch!!!!

Back
Top Bottom