Incubating my first eggs! Any tips?

JesNflock

Songster
10 Years
Sep 11, 2013
NE Florida,US
I just started incubating my first batch of eggs and I'm so nervous/excited! I have 25 various breeds (some from my own girls and some that were given to me from a friend's flock) I have read a bunch on incubating eggs and really hope this goes well. I figured I would post on here my"journey" in hatching.
I have a still air incubator for now (I want to update that later...maybe next hatch or so) The thread "Hatching 101" has been a wonderful source of information for me so far. I made sure to regulate my temps for a few days before I put eggs in there but the first morning after I started them (I started them in the evening), the temp shot up to 104* in the incubator. ( I have 3 different types of thermometers in there..one of them is a probe inside of a water wiggler to help get an idea of internal temp.that one wasn't as high, but it said 102*) How detrimental to the eggs is it that it got so high? I turned it down just a touch and it went lower than I wanted it to go(100* with the high number and 98.9* with the internal probe. I have since gotten the temp to stabilize..will these temp swings badly effect my hatch or not to much of a worry? I can't wait to candle my first eggs on day 7...waiting somewhat patiently lol

Last edited:
My incubator was horrid, and did have several swings up to 104.

Out of 22 eggs, with about 70% fertile, I got 5 to hatch.

The ones that did hatch were all very healthy.

My incubator was horrid, and did have several swings up to 104.

Out of 22 eggs, with about 70% fertile, I got 5 to hatch.

The ones that did hatch were all very healthy.
Luckily, I have been able to stabilize the temps now pretty good. Hopefully, I have lots of fertile eggs...all of the girls in my flock are pullets (I've heard that they can be iffy on the fertility) but so far when we have eaten their eggs most have been fertile. I don't know much about the eggs from the other group so fingers crossed there.
fl.gif
Can't wait to candle at day 7...only a few more days

You should be ok with the temp swing...it wasn't too drastic. I found that in my experience I didn't have good luck with the still air incubators and it also seems to make a big difference in your hatch rate with the humidity. I started reading about weighing the eggs and adjusting humidity accordingly. My best advice is to keep reading about incubation and hatching and don't stress. It takes some practice and patience to get a good understanding of what all is going on in those eggs. Good luck and have fun!!

Last edited:
Hello I am new to BYC and recently purchased two Heritage turkey hens and a Narragansett Tom turkey. After the second day I found an egg. The hen was setting on the eggs but the clutch became to large to fit under her so I bought a small air circulating incubator. I now have 24 eggs in it. I have learned that candling the eggs are very important to make sure that they are fertile and progressing.

You should be ok with the temp swing...it wasn't too drastic. I found that in my experience I didn't have good luck with the still air incubators and it also seems to make a big difference in your hatch rate with the humidity. I started reading about weighing the eggs and adjusting humidity accordingly. My best advice is to keep reading about incubation and hatching and don't stress. It takes some practice and patience to get a good understanding of what all is going on in those eggs. Good luck and have fun!!
Yeah, I am trying to just kinda go with the flow (so to speak) with my eggs..I really want them to hatch but with it being my first time & using a still air (which I really didn't want to do but I was stretching to get the auto turner already so I will have to either make one for the next hatch or cough up some more cash to buy one lol) I know that I may not have the best hatch rate. What I DO want to do is learn what I can do better or change for successful hatches ( My daughter & I are having lots of fun with this process & can't wait to candle in a few days!) I love being able to talk with people/ bounce ideas around or what not or just make sure I'm not royally screwing the whole thing up lol

Hello I am new to BYC and recently purchased two Heritage turkey hens and a Narragansett Tom turkey. After the second day I found an egg. The hen was setting on the eggs but the clutch became to large to fit under her so I bought a small air circulating incubator. I now have 24 eggs in it. I have learned that candling the eggs are very important to make sure that they are fertile and progressing.
Hello and Welcome to BYC from Florida!!!

What day are you on with your turkeys? Do they incubate/hatch the same length of time as chickens?

Hello, my eggs are all at different stages ..I have 6 that are ready to hatch anytime now..I am super excited.

Hello, my eggs are all at different stages ..I have 6 that are ready to hatch anytime now..I am super excited.
Awesome! What kind of eggs are you hatching? lol you already said what kind in your previous post( I guess I had a duh moment)
Have you hatched before or is this your first time?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom