Incubating Physics question

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
So this question has to do with being related to temperature regulation.

That's why I think its highly relevant. If this question shows true then, it means nature can be somewhat forgiving on egg success in imperfect temperatures.

I was wondering if actually an egg from a fowl, but more specifically ducks (and chickens) actually has to be warm the full 24 hours in a day? And I'm also wondering if its...gathering energy, stewing, or whatever you want to call it the full 24 hours in a day or only something like 8 hours, or 10 hours, or 12?

You can see why this might be interesting.

Does it 'rest', and sort of only use part of the day while the egg is growing?

What do you think about this?

If this is true it means if temperature was imperfect at a certain point, then we might not think its a total loss if things weren't perfect.

So this question has to do with being related to temperature regulation.

That's why I think its highly relevant. If this question shows true then, it means nature can be somewhat forgiving on egg success in imperfect temperatures.

I was wondering if actually an egg from a fowl, but more specifically ducks (and chickens) actually has to be warm the full 24 hours in a day? And I'm also wondering if its...gathering energy, stewing, or whatever you want to call it the full 24 hours in a day or only something like 8 hours, or 10 hours, or 12?

You can see why this might be interesting.

Does it 'rest', and sort of only use part of the day while the egg is growing?

What do you think about this?

If this is true it means if temperature was imperfect at a certain point, then we might not think its a total loss if things weren't perfect.
The hen can only be off of the nest for an hour at most each day. It has to have at least 22 hours of heat I would imagine. Sometimes people have the power go out in the middle of incubation for a day or so and they still have some hatch, but routinely skipping multiple hours each day would kill them I'd think. If any even hatched they would be weak and deformed.

Chicken eggs can go into suspended development if they are incubated for less than 24 hours, if I remember correctly, and then pulled from the heat source. I don't remember how long they remain viable for. But any further along and the embryo would die if you pulled it from the heat for more than an hour, as explained above.

Just today I read in passing on here that some people cool their duck eggs down during incubation, but I have no idea on the specifics.

Chicken eggs can go into suspended development if they are incubated for less than 24 hours, if I remember correctly, and then pulled from the heat source. I don't remember how long they remain viable for. But any further along and the embryo would die if you pulled it from the heat for more than an hour, as explained above.

Just today I read in passing on here that some people cool their duck eggs down during incubation, but I have no idea on the specifics.
I actually tried that. When I cooled them I took off the incubator lid for half an hour and let them sit. Then I misted them and put the lid back on. I saw no difference from it, compared to my other hatches :idunno

I have also read that duck eggs should be cooled off. Don't remember if it was daily or... And mist only close to hatching. Which I thought was weird, because ducks usually come back to the nest wet throughout most of the incubation...

I think it all depends on the outside temperature. It can get warm enough here for a chicken to be able to leave the nest for a few hours. I've had eggs on the kitchen bench that I was going to cook to feed back to the chooks because they had hidden and sat on them for a few days; they were there for a good 5 hours, it was warm and when I cracked one the little embryo was still alive! I had to put them in the freezer.

I have also read that duck eggs should be cooled off. Don't remember if it was daily or... And mist only close to hatching. Which I thought was weird, because ducks usually come back to the nest wet throughout most of the incubation...
Not sure what you mean by mist only?

A study has been done recently, but I do not have the link handy, that shows that cooling daily can increase the hatch rate. For chickens, the cooling period was for two hours per day up to day 18. So, the OP may have a point that the egg/embryo isn't collecting energy 24/7 to hatch.

Also in this study, the cooling did not increase hatch time significantly. I have not tried this, but I also do not fret if my incubator temps drop during the cycle. I have hatch many broods via the Bio-Brooder and rarely does that process go for 21 days without heat interruption.

Back
Top Bottom