1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Incubating quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by beagleman77, Mar 1, 2015.

1. beagleman77

beagleman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2015
    What does the temp have to be and the humidity and how many days to hatch pls where is the best place to buy quail eggs pls help I'm new to them and I have a hovabator with auto egg turner but have to get new racks for quail

2. Jedwards

Jedwards Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2014
    Berks County, PA
    It depends what species of quail you wanna hatch. I've hatched coturnix quail and they have short incubation periods (about 16-18 days typically about 17 for me) and it was at 99.5 degrees F and 40-50% humidity before lockdown and 60-65% for the last 3 days. I have never bought eggs and had them shipped, I checked craigslist and got local ones. Good luck!

3. Lalegid

Lalegid Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2014
    I've hatched a few batches of coturnix quail, as mentioned above they take around 17 days. I have the temp set to 37.7 degrees (incubator has a fan), and dry hatch (don't add any water to the incubator until day 14). I use the dry hatch method because the weather is humid here at the moment, it's the end of summer. I turn the eggs 3x a day by hand, and stop turning at day 14. Also on day 14 I add a non-slip shelf liner to the incubator (it seems to help them get up on their feet, solved my initial splayed leg problems!), and push the humidity up to 70-75%.

I bought quail eggs locally, I get much better hatches with local rather than shipped.

4. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    I like this chart and refer to it often.
    [​IMG]

5. beagleman77

Jan 1, 2015
    Thank you all for your help

6. beagleman77

Jan 1, 2015
    I want coturnix quail

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by