Incubating question.

Sylviaanne

Crowing
7 Years
Sep 17, 2012
Ozark, MO
How important is the humidity? My husband bought me a digital temperature and humidity gauge and the temperature hasn't come up to 97 degrees yet but the humidity was up to 67% when I came in here to ask this question. Sylvia

Ok, I just checked again. The temp was 97 but the humidity was 75% so I took one of the sponges out. Any suggestions? Thanks, Sylvia

My incubator seems to be holding at 99 degrees but I can't seem to get the humidity to come down. I have taken out both sponges and drained a little bit from the reservoirs. I have none of the plugs in, although I thought they were to keep heat in. Any suggestions? Sylvia

My incubator seems to be holding at 99 degrees but I can't seem to get the humidity to come down. I have taken out both sponges and drained a little bit from the reservoirs. I have none of the plugs in, although I thought they were to keep heat in. Any suggestions? Sylvia

how many reservoirs do you have filled in mine I use #1 and # 3 and it stays at around 40% I think the less water the less humidity vice versa.

I think you would have better hatch rates if you try a dry hatch. I had a 93% hatch rate from my last semi-dry hatch. I kept humidity around 30% for incubation and hatched at 50% humidity.

Just add a little bit of water every few days into 1 channel. You use the second channel to up the humidity for hatching.

Oh and don't forget to leave the vent(s) open. Its important for the developing embryos to get enough oxygen. That will increase your hatch rates too.

Last edited:
I have a Little Giant Still Air incubator and it has 2 side reservoir troughs and a square trough in the middle. I had all of them filled plus 2 wet sponges. I have not put any eggs in it yet but I need to soon. I cleaned my incubator up and turned it on to get it set up. I have been turning the heat down to reach the right range and removing the sponges/water to try to get the humidity to 50-55%. So far I have had no luck getting the humidity near that range. It has gone from 43% with no water up to 75% with everything filled and the sponges wet. When I bought the incubator, it didn't have a way to measure the humidity, maybe I should put the sponges back in and not worry about the humidity?
Sylvia

I think you would have better hatch rates if you try a dry hatch. I had a 93% hatch rate from my last semi-dry hatch. I kept humidity around 30% for incubation and hatched at 50% humidity.

Just add a little bit of water every few days into 1 channel. You use the second channel to up the humidity for hatching.

Oh and don't forget to leave the vent(s) open. Its important for the developing embryos to get enough oxygen. That will increase your hatch rates too.
I am thinking that you may be right, just put a little water in and wait for the last 3 days to add extra water. My incubator came with holes in it but it has 2 that are supposed to have red plugs in them to help regulate the heat. I guess the last time I put it up, the kids must have gotten hold of the red plugs because they aren't with the incubator but I can used large wet cotton balls if I need to plug them. Sylvia

Humidity is VERY important. Its better to be on the dry side than too himid.

Lowes and Home Depot sells temp/hygrometers for reasonable prices, I have 2 like this one:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/AcuRite-...u=204350151&ci_kw=&ci_gpa=pla&ci_src=17588969
I have one very similar, I think the outside of the case is the only difference. I got it from Walmart and it seems to work very well. Have you had to replace yours due to the humidity in the incubators? Sylvia

Back
Top Bottom