1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Incubating rhea eggs?

Discussion in 'Ostriches, Emu, Rheas' started by The hen breeder, May 9, 2014.

1. The hen breeder

The hen breeder Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2012
    I've read on a couple of websites that I should turn rhea eggs at least 3 times a day when incubating. I also read this for chicken eggs, but I have hatched loads with just turning them twice a day, can this be applicable to rhea eggs as well- help really appreciated!

2. Calla

Calla Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2012
    England UK
    Hi
    I have kept rheas since 1992 and bred loads very successfully, although the 1st few years just kept them as pets... 4 pairs... for eggs to decorate and grasing and company for my other Animals.

Now to your question...I have just an ordinary 40 hen auto incubator , but eggs were too heavy to use turning mechanism..so turn them 7 x a day, by hand...a MUST uneven numbers, so they don't lay on same side longer every night...
    Good luck..
    Calla

3. John Robo

John Robo New Egg

Oct 22, 2015
    Some help please on incubating Rhea eggs. Thinking of buying a Brinsea 580 but have been told by brinsea I would need to take out every other shelf therefore would only fit in 36 eggs. What's the best incubator to hatch Rheas in please.

John

4. clark-farm

clark-farm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2013
    I use a brinsea ova easy and can get 36 in total into it 6 per tray 2 trays per shelf 3shelves just have to stagger the hatch times as can only get 12 down the bottom for hagch

5. John Robo

John Robo New Egg

Oct 22, 2015
    Is this the 580 ova easy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by