INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made sure both thermometers were giving me the same reading when placed together in several different areas.

The eggs rested at room temperature for 24 hours and then went into the incubator with the turner off for the first two days (due to the obviously damaged air cells) the first 6 rested for 24 hours at room temp and went straight in with the turner as all 6 seemed to have solid air cells. I didn't candle until day 14 and then again when placed in lockdown. I was pretty sure I was gonna get 0 out of the damaged eggs but the seller asked that I leave them all in for 24 days...

how large were the air cells when you got them and how far did they travel?

We feed acorns to our pigs, I've never really though about giving them to the chickens though. I know wild turkeys eat a lot of acorns this time of year.
I like the idea of crushing them up in a bag so that they are small enough for the chickens to eat.
do you really think a chicken can crack a acorn?

Hi Sally and the gang...I have a broody hen and some more eggs in incubator for her...under her she has 3 white leghorn/EE eggs, and 1 mystery brown egg (the dad is EE the mom may be black star) in my incubator I have frizzle cochins, welsummer/cochins, and RIR.

Hen's eggs are due on Fri. 13th. The fun part will be the 2 black out schedualed one for tomorrow 5:30am to 2:30 pm, and one on the 12th 10:30 pm to 4:30 am.

Hey! its been a very long time!! how have you been! @gimmie birdies
Ok, I love this one..he he.....

LL

me too!! I found it on the diary thread looking for something, posted it in 2012 he he he How are you doing?
I am surprised how strong these little chicks are!, It's just a tiny crack but I expect it will grow as the day continues....Waiting for these little guys is tough. I hope it get's easier! Still only one external pip,,,I hope I just wake up tomorrow and I get a 7/7 hatch :p
it could or it could stay the same until it is time to zip! its cool right!!!

0cafa71a_20151110_115039.jpeg

I've added 3 more since this pic, but I don't have a pic of the extra chickies.

love.gif

After getting caught up on the thread as best I can while caring for sick kids at home (ugh), I have a candling update for anyone keeping score at home ;-)
Ok- on Day 10 (yesterday) out of 8 shipped Marans in the Brinsea, I have 7 going strong, one looks like it quit a few days ago.

My own flock's eggs were day 8 yesterday in the Hovabator- Only 1 of the 6 is viable :-( Very surprising considering I've seen good fertile bullseye in all 9 girls' eggs with him for a couple of months. If time allows I'm going to crack open the clears tonight or tomorrow and see if they started or were just not fertile.

So looks like I'm going to move my lone egg from the Hova to the Brinsea. That puts me with 8 total eggs for now. 7 due 11/20, 1 due 11/22.
I hope the kids feel better, mine are on the verge uggggggg

I am glad you have so many doing good of the shipped!!! wonder whats up with your flock!!! give us and update then!!!

Last edited:
ok I NEED HELP.....

so when I @ someone and then I want to keep typing what do I have to click to continue typing without having to swear and curse at my laptop??? until I punch everykey and then it moves on and lets me type after the persons name?

and dont laugh at me..... I am too easy to laugh at I know......

I am so out of this computer stuff for way too long

@Sally Sunshine UPDATE!
Yesterday was day 14 candled and 1 of the questionable was still developing the other definite early quitter thew it out still have 7 going strong out of the fertile dozen trader Joe eggs

How do the air cells look for day 14
Day 7 green
Day 14 red

Thanks
LL

@Sally Sunshine OK, Day 14 candling and weighing done. I did my little graphs, and while the AVERAGE weight loss is on track for 11%, I noticed some differences that made me graph each egg (there were only 15!). And PER WEIGHTS, some are on track to lose less than 10%, others 15%+. However, by candling, all the air cells look good to me compared to other images and the little air cell size sketch in Hatching 101. As the scale that I used for the first two weights was imprecise (and in fact died after day 7), I'm going to trust the air cells - but I'll post a few photos so someone can speak up if they look too big to anyone (wo. Humidity is set at 35%, and ambient is running around 35-45% this week. All embryos appear healthy and kicking (very cute to see them kick their little feet!)

Shipped NNs with the messed up air cells not due to be candled until Friday - I wonder if any of them will show development.
fl.gif

OK, off to try to catch up before I pass out...

- Ant Farm

Average air cell is it ok looking?

Last edited:
ok I NEED HELP.....

so when I @ someone and then I want to keep typing what do I have to click to continue typing without having to swear and curse at my laptop???  until I punch everykey and then it moves on and lets me type after the persons name?

and dont laugh at me.....  I am too easy to laugh at I know......

I am so out of this computer stuff for way too long

I have to write something before the @, and then I click back in the sentance and then click in front again. Example:

"Hey @somebodyorother, how are your eggs?"
You have to go to the end of "@somebodyorother" and then click in the middle of "hey", and then back at the end of " @sombodyorother" and then it should work. Atleast it does for me.....:rolleyes: if you still don't get it i can explain again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom