INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a quick, easy, and inexpensive water container that's ideal for use inside of a brooder or coop. The water stays clean so it doesn't need to be changed daily, and there's virtually no waste or spatter, so bedding stays dry. This procedure can be used on larger or smaller containers. While I haven't attempted metal, they work great on most any plastic containers... as long as it's thick enough to provide a good seal on the threads. I previously had a Sterilite 2-quart pitcher in my brooder, but with a large number of chicks, it requires refilling every day. I bought a 1-gallon pitcher from a dollar store to make a new one with the extra horizontal poultry nipples I got from Amazon. Start by drilling 1/4" holes in three places (or how many you want) near the bottom of the pitcher, swap to a 3/8" bit to get the final size hole. Drilling a smaller hole and changing to a larger bit helps keep the plastic cooler so there's less melting and balling up of the plastic. Once the 3/8" holes are drilled, I trim off any burrs that remain, and give the holes a slight bevel since the nipple threads are tapered. Making sure the nipples are not going in at an angle, screw them in until they're almost flush with the pitcher. You don't want to screw them all the way down, or you run the risk of stripping out the hole! Once the nipples are installed, it's time to leak-test them. I've made several of these, and have yet to have one leak.
These look like they would keep the chicks from overwatering themselves like they do with the ones I have. Great idea thanks.

Quote: dang, I was hoping you would say, sure I got that update copy paste!
lau.gif

Quote: OMG that area is lovely!!

Sending Florida Sunshine your way!

so pretty!!
The first poults of the year are here! I woke up to 3 babies in the bator running around
smile.png
horrible picture, I know but my tablet doesn't do any better.

CONGRATS!!!! go poults go!!!

HELP!

What is an egg supposed to look like on day 14? All my eggs look very dark and I can see some movement down by the air sack, except for one. That one is mostly light, but there is a big black spot that is moving in the middle. Is this right? Could it just be delevoping slower? Thanks.

Here's a picture
UPDATE:

I have pulled extremely helpful NOTES, LINKS &

Informational Post Links from this entire thread

for EVERYONE'S convenience and will continue to put them HERE:

nope...I'm getting ready to hit the ice though
good luck phil!!

Quote: good for you whites! take it easy!

Good morning to all out there. Sun is up and going to be a beautiful day here in East Texas. Working on pen expansion mostly today. But am going to candle 41 eggs set 14 days ago this evening. Am excited with all the new info I have learned on site. Will make some posts tnit with results. Have a wonderful day peeps!
Good Luck!! dont forget to give us the update! and pics if you have a helper!!

Quote:
Quote: I think I may as well!

[COLOR=B22222]But I noticed you forgot that bantams hatch earlier than standards and should have been held for two days after the standards,  and you should have waited until my eggs acclimated to room temps. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=B22222]Now the chance of bacteria heading into the egg is a HUGE factor[/COLOR]
[COLOR=B22222]loss of embryo due to bacteria will be very high,[/COLOR]
[COLOR=B22222]sweating cold eggs is one of the major factors in embryo DIS. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=B22222]I said that three different ways, so NEVER SET Un-ACCLIMATED eggs in the bator because an embryo is alive and growing from the start! [/COLOR]

[COLOR=B22222]I discussed this with you in our messages about holding the serama and small bantams, and you were to just SETTLE the EGGS, NOT PUT THEM IN.  [/COLOR]

[COLOR=B22222]So you already didn't take my advice. We are all trying to help you, so dont you dare come with a sour attitude when you see DIS in these eggs.  You will learn from your own mistakes like the rest of us, so when the time comes remember to grin and bear it and move on and try not to make the same mistakes twice. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=B22222]That is the end of my rant and I wont bring it up again.   I pray you get a good hatch despite your odds. [/COLOR]
I let them set.I just said my eggs are set.the Silkies and all where ten days too twelve days old Already.I didn't want them to go bad.

I have to take pills for my health that end up raising it as side effect and added pills to lower it back!   but soon that pill will be removed from my list!!  :yesss:

Good to hear it will be subtracted soon. At this point I don't take any and was hoping to keep it that way. High bp is in the genes here and I'm just like my dad when it comes to know what to expect.

Last edited:
I dreamed last night that I set eggs in the bator, but after a few days realized the bator was still dirty from the last hatch. Does that qualify as a nightmare?
most def! you need to chill on the caffeine before bed sweetie!
lau.gif

Quote: Yup, yup! Wash me in coffee. Forget the embalming fluid! Fill me up with coffee beans, and pour in the hot stuff!
Mmmmmmh! I can smell me now!
lmao

Quote:
you are going to have a terrible stinky bacteria ridden bator for the last ones to hatch with this many staggering at those temps and humidity. How could the eggs be that old when she only sent them when I did?

Last edited:

Hello all! The days are getting longer, I know this because we finally got a white egg from one of our Andalusians
clap.gif
. I wish I had more time to chat this weekend but I have been so busy trying to catch up on my days off. The coolerbator vs styrobator test is in full swing. I am noticing a little late now that I have hot and cold spots in the coolerbator . I failed to test that earlier. So I am going to research on how to fix that. Hope everyone is having a wonderful day ! I will try to pop in though out the day.
hugs.gif

you are going to have a terrible stinky bacteria ridden bator for the last ones to hatch with this many staggering at those temps and humidity.  How could the eggs be that old when she only sent them when I did?
she was collecting them.to have enough.y will I have a stinky bacteria filled bator.

most def!  you need to chill on the caffeine before bed sweetie!  :lau

lmao

you are going to have a terrible stinky bacteria ridden bator for the last ones to hatch with this many staggering at those temps and humidity.  How could the eggs be that old when she only sent them when I did?
and what u mean.my temps and humidity are good now.before I added them.

Quote: thank you!! I hope it gets under control!

Hello all! The days are getting longer, I know this because we finally got a white egg from one of our Andalusians
clap.gif
. I wish I had more time to chat this weekend but I have been so busy trying to catch up on my days off. The coolerbator vs styrobator test is in full swing. I am noticing a little late now that I have hot and cold spots in the coolerbator . I failed to test that earlier. So I am going to research on how to fix that. Hope everyone is having a wonderful day ! I will try to pop in though out the day.
hugs.gif
hey chicky sweets!!! missed ya!! yay white eggie!!! how poweful are the fans? I have two big ones in my big cooler. air flow mustnt be up to par I need pictures of that build yet remember? I was keeping track of it on the notes section LOL

Quote: Chicken hawk, chicks hatch they have part of the umbilicus and wetness in the bator and get that all over the other eggs, after two days of hatch that crap reeks and is already getting discusting, how about you putting gunk out on the patio table and letting the sun and wetness hit it at high humidity and 99 degree temps!! GROSS and fuzzy GROWTH

THATS WHY A QUICK Hatch is the BEST HATCH

Last edited:
hey chicky sweets!!! missed ya!! yay white eggie!!! how poweful are the fans? I have two big ones in my big cooler. air flow mustnt be up to par I need pictures of that build yet remember? I was keeping track of it on the notes section LOL

Chicken hawk, chicks hatch they have part of the umbilicus and wetness in the bator and get that all over the other eggs, after two days of hatch that crap reeks and is already getting discusting, how about you putting gunk out on the patio table and letting the sun and wetness hit it at high humidity and 99 degree temps!! GROSS and fuzzy GROWTH

Yes, that's what I was afraid of, so should I try to squeeze all my eggs as close to the perfect temperature until I can get another fan in there?
hmm.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom