INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

After viewing Sally's mic stand candler and seeing the proper way to candle, we rigged up a flashlight to a music stand. This is a 320 lumen light with the lens removed so it makes a good seal.

A
BCM egg at day 7 (all the pics are day 7). Lights not strong enough to see veins, but we know there is a chick.

Not sure what to think - at first it looked "clear" but the blob inside is dark so I called it questionable and put it back inside.

Took this one out - much more clear than the one above it.

Yay!

Another sign of life... this is my first go at BCM eggs...

Our easter egger at day 7 - now we see veins

This one looks very clear, but there is a dark speck moving where the arrow is. This one we left in the incubator.

I ended up taking out 3 eggs that were clear - one easter egger and 2 BCM. I suppose there could have been life in the BCMs I removed, but they were very suspect and the bator was a little over crowded.

The air cells have not changed much, and I started with very fresh eggs so the air cells are small. I did not weigh eggs before starting (oops) - but at least I marked an air cell. I took the plug out so I wouldn't forget. I plan to candle at day 10 and see what to do from there. My hygrometer did not arrive - but the humidity is currently at the very low end on the "incubation range" for my incubator.

What?
pop.gif
(kidding. I see)

That doesn't count! You can't be sure how many are fertile, let alone how many are going to hatch. So, you may have only set two eggs!
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

I thought he just sat on the eggs himself.
idunno.gif
duc.gif

I thought I'd wait to post till there were 1,000 new posts.

Hi ya'll
frow.gif
You may remember me frantically asking questions 7 days ago while setting my maran eggs. 1st hatch for me ever
fl.gif
... Well today is the almighty 7th day and I am going to candle tonight. I have read and re-read Sally's awesome guides. Wish me luck tonight! Here are a few pictures from the beginning....
Beautiful eggs.

VENTILATION (OXYGEN)
Hatching at High Altitudes post #37908
O2 deprivation to day 10 of incubation followed by regular oxygen concentrations leads to stronger chicks post #33815
PUT THE RED VENT PLUGS IN FOR THE FIRST 10 DAYS ONLY and then REMOVE ALL VENT PLUGS for the rest of the hatch!
NEVER USE VENT holes as a means to Control HUMIDITY especially during HATCH DAYS!
I use a small aquarium air pump to push ambient air into my big cabinet.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23906223

http://en.aviagen.com/assets/Tech_C...les/RossTechNote_HatchingAltitudes2013_EN.pdf

The following quote is from this link. http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S1516-635X2005000200002 This is another reference to pullet eggs and uniform hatching so chicks can get food and water in a timely manner.

"(researchers) observed reductions of 32% in the weight of chicks that remained in the incubator for 32 hours after hatching. Losses due to starvation and dehydration are related to the time that the chicks are left in the hatcher before placement Delays between hatching and placement also lead to permanent losses in live performance and breast meat yield at market age. In this regard, research has clearly demonstrated the benefits of allowing the chicks to eat and drink as soon as possible after hatching, such as improvements in several characteristics of live performance, digestive metabolism and meat yield
Early chick performance is influenced by egg source, since egg weight and chick weight at hatching are highly correlated. Embryo size before hatching and at hatching may be altered by egg weight and incubation environment, regardless of the avian species. After hatching, however, the effect of egg weight decreases with the age of the progeny.
Egg contents vary according to breeder age, but also to egg weight within any breeder age. Yolk percentage increases in eggs as the breeders age, but is decreased in heavy eggs sorted from those produced within any breeder age. In chicken eggs, the total incubation period needed to produce a complete embryo might depend on contents differences. Therefore, alterations in egg contents, which affect hatching time, may be correlated to egg weight and breeder age. This study was conducted with the objective of evaluating the incubation period needed to the complete hatching of eggs originating from breeders varying widely in age and eggs from breeders with the same age but varying in weight."

I had a friend in New Jersey that told me the story about his turn to get the pig for the party. He and a bunch of friends got together in a field, and started the bonfire. Drunk as anything, he left for the pig. He had the dead pig strapped to the passenger seat wearing a helmet. He said he caused a lot of people to swerve off the road.
cute

It was Mammoth Lakes, CA. I didn't know how to ski when I moved there, just loved the area. So, I got an INDOOR job - I worked in the Business office. Basically responsible for Ticket sales and accounting. We were able to ski a couple of hours every day (if we wanted). I lived there 6 winters, but only 1 summer. I've never skied outside of California.
So we're even. I never skied IN California. I never skied back east either.
The Grand Prix Slopestyle competition was in Mammoth today.
X-Games skier cross and snowboarding big air competition are in Aspen this weekend. I saw two 1620 backside jumps today. That's 4.5 complete revolutions in the air.
Being from the Midwest, I never skied before I went into the army. I took a 'learn to ski week' in the Alps and I was hooked. I've been an avid skier ever since, going at every opportunity. If I knew a work layoff was coming, I'd throw some money back, score the cheapest air ticket I could find to the mountains, pack a couple pair of skis, boots and off I went.
My first equipment that I bought in 1973 was used and the boots were actually leather rather than plastic (like modern boots). I wish I still had them - not to use them but for display - they were antiques.
I've skied most of Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, Wisconsin, lower Michigan and the 2 Missouri ski areas. I was a ski instructor for 4 years.
I skied Germany (Hausberg, Zugspitze, Oberammergau and Berchtesgaden); Austria (The Arlberg region [St. Anton, St. Christoph and Stuben], The Tirol region [Axamer Lizum, Ischgl, Stubai Glacier, Zell am See, Innsbruck]; Italy [Cortina d'Ampezzo, Bormio, Cervinia]; Switzerland [Zermatt, Chur, Grindelwald, Wengen, Schilthorn, Murren, Davos, Portes, du Soleil]; France [Courchevel and Meribel]. That's all I can remember.
I wanted to ski the Pyrenees in Andorra but let the opportunity pass. It's supposed to be the cheapest place to ski in western Europe.
I've never skied Canada, South America, Asia or the Middle East.
I think, if I ever acquire enough money, Chile and Argentina are next.

That's awesome
I'd be a lil concerned about the egg next to the motor
The motor gives off Xtra heat
Maybe you can put a shield there?
@sassyhens1
X2
rotate and when the first egg gets removed with candling, that's the first spot to be vacated

Last edited:
Bed time for me. Thank you for those links @Sally Sunshine . Have a great night everyone!
hugs.gif
nigtht night

After viewing Sally's mic stand candler and seeing the proper way to candle, we rigged up a flashlight to a music stand. This is a 320 lumen light with the lens removed so it makes a good seal.

A
BCM egg at day 7 (all the pics are day 7). Lights not strong enough to see veins, but we know there is a chick.

Not sure what to think - at first it looked "clear" but the blob inside is dark so I called it questionable and put it back inside.

Took this one out - much more clear than the one above it.

Yay!

Another sign of life... this is my first go at BCM eggs...

Our easter egger at day 7 - now we see veins

This one looks very clear, but there is a dark speck moving where the arrow is. This one we left in the incubator.

I ended up taking out 3 eggs that were clear - one easter egger and 2 BCM. I suppose there could have been life in the BCMs I removed, but they were very suspect and the bator was a little over crowded.

The air cells have not changed much, and I started with very fresh eggs so the air cells are small. I did not weigh eggs before starting (oops) - but at least I marked an air cell. I took the plug out so I wouldn't forget. I plan to candle at day 10 and see what to do from there. My hygrometer did not arrive - but the humidity is currently at the very low end on the "incubation range" for my incubator.
clap.gif
awesome and I never thought to take lens out!! smarts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom