INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you, but there are two.
Getting worried that my hatch is a bust. Still no action in the bator since last night. Hope I didn't mess up opening to get to the first one taken care of. Think next time I will leave them in the turner too. Had 10 good ones at my last candle.

Probably did not mess up as long as humidity stayed up. It might make the turner too dirty to clean up well. Egg carton with bottoms cut out works well.

Friend of mine had better hatch rate turning by hand. Bought the turner but switched back after first try of the turner.

Was the temp low to make it late.

Don't want to cross-post, but this thread gets so much attention. Thought maybe I'd get a faster answer here.

Anyway, if you know about candling on page 7 - what to look for, etc., can you check this post and give a reply? Just want to make sure these li'l chicks get the best chance at surviving and thriving.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1088873/styrofoam-incubators-club/490#post_17235774

Thanks...
Cross posting is welcome! I have an LG with a fan. But, I"m not sure how much difference that makes. I think running 50% humidity is kind of high. I run around 35. Also, I candle from the top of the egg shining the light down - that should help show the air pocket easier. I use a small flashlight - one that is smaller than the egg, but I cup my hand to make it even smaller.

If you go to page 1 of this , there is a section on candling eggs and there are a TON of pictures of candled eggs. You should look at that to get an idea of what the A/C should look like. If you think they are too small, decrease the humidity up until lock down. If they are too big, raise the humidity.

Good luck! Seeing movement is ALWAYS a good thing!

Thank you, but there are two.
Getting worried that my hatch is a bust. Still no action in the bator since last night. Hope I didn't mess up opening to get to the first one taken care of. Think next time I will leave them in the turner too. Had 10 good ones at my last candle.

Probably did not mess up as long as humidity stayed up. It might make the turner too dirty to clean up well. Egg carton with bottoms cut out works well.

Friend of mine had better hatch rate turning by hand. Bought the turner but switched back after first try of the turner.

Was the temp low to make it late.

No temp is holding steady, yes I checked it before too. Humidity at 64% , I know it's possible they can go after 21 days . Have my hopes up first this bunch, waited 3 yrs for a start of these.

Ok, we talked about Barred Rock vs Dominique earlier. Here are my girls:

Dom:

BR:

We also talked about my barred EE mix - turns out it has fluffy yellow feet....so I have no idea what it is...I think it's a he - and he is going through a tough teenage awkward stage.

My silkie frizzle has been named Phyllis Diller....

And yes, I am SO jealous of everyone that these BEAUTIFUL green yards. We have a dry dirt lot. Water restrictions prevent me from growing anything. I didn't even plant a garden this year. I am the process of refinancing and am going to get a little bit of cash out of it - I using that money to dig a well. Hopefully, we'll have some greenery for the chicks to enjoy then!

Happy hatching everyone!
Probably too dry there to need a dehumidifier, but when we empty ours every day or so we dump it at the base of the garden plants. You could also water a garden when you change the chickens' water supply, or water from cooking, after it cools, of course. And if a pan happened to accidentally find it's way into the tub while the shower was running..........

Prove it!
Yes! Is it hard to make three toes instead of two? Well, three defined toes.

I have no idea, but I can look.

Ok, we talked about Barred Rock vs Dominique earlier. Here are my girls: Dom: BR: We also talked about my barred EE mix - turns out it has fluffy yellow feet....so I have no idea what it is...I think it's a he - and he is going through a tough teenage awkward stage. My silkie frizzle has been named Phyllis Diller.... And yes, I am SO jealous of everyone that these BEAUTIFUL green yards. We have a dry dirt lot. Water restrictions prevent me from growing anything. I didn't even plant a garden this year. I am the process of refinancing and am going to get a little bit of cash out of it - I using that money to dig a well. Hopefully, we'll have some greenery for the chicks to enjoy then! Happy hatching everyone!
Probably too dry there to need a dehumidifier, but when we empty ours every day or so we dump it at the base of the garden plants. You could also water a garden when you change the chickens' water supply, or water from cooking, after it cools, of course. And if a pan happened to accidentally find it's way into the tub while the shower was running..........
X2 on the watering! Can you have a rainbarrel? I know some places it's forbidden.

Pensmaster I will talk to you tomorrow. My vision is going blurry, time for bed. Thank you first trying to help calm me down and figure it out.

Five gallon bucket while showering. It got to the point here people would complain about their shower elbow. Sore elbows from hauling water out. Or using shower water to flush. We are still not out of the woods water wise. Even though it did rain more than in the past few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom