INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Good afternoon all! I've been busy getting ready for the next compliance officer visit. I just came across this duck video and it's makes me want a duck!!!

But really - who thinks to give a baby a duck as a present???? I think most people go with stuffed animals, or teddy bears.....

I hope everyone is having a good day!
Good luck with your legal matters.

And they wonder where all the bees have gone. Brilliant
Every year, 33% of all bee colonies fail.
http://opensourcebeehives.net/

When they decided to spray with a much stronger pesticide to eradicate mosquitoes in Dade County to suppress the Zika virus, I wondered if any bees would be left.

Quote:
going into sticker shock and the 2016 trucks, think I'll keep my 98
As of now, I can't see myself ever being able to afford a new one again. And I get them at dealer cost as a retiree from Ford.

here in tn the a few years ago we were hit by white nose syndrome bat syndrome, it was so bad they shut down all the caves, I remember going in one in 2012 and the bats were covered in diamonds it looked like, it's a horrific disease, but last year and this year we've noticed them coming back, they even started opening caves again, hopefully the bats will make a full come back here soon!
Many of the caves in MO have had bars installed to keep people out for years. Gating or fencing important bat caves and placing warning or interpretive signs at ungated caves help limit human disturbance, especially at maternity time.

There are big bat population problems world wide.
14 of the nearly 1,000 species of bats worldwide call Missouri home. They hibernate here for at least 5 months a year due to a lack of insects.

Many of the Missouri species are endangered and protected by state and federal laws. The Ozark Big-Eared bat was once common in caves throughout SW MO but hasn't been seen here since I was in high school. There are only a few caves in Arkansas and Oklahoma that have a population.

An interesting thing about bats is how short gestation is and how rapidly pups grow. They only have one to five pups a year depending on species. Most only have one.
They mate in the fall and females store sperm throughout hibernation. Gestation is only a few weeks and the pups that are born in May or June are already half the size of an adult and can fly by 2 to 5 weeks of age.
Imagine if a woman had a half grown baby and it could drive and get a job a month later.
gig.gif

Listening to the depressed crying of Janice kills me.
Feeling the thunder shaking the house scares the poop outa me!!!
hide.gif
Joplin?
'Cry Baby'

I don't know if I will incubate eggs again, but if I do I tell you what for 1 I will buy a quality incubator and not make one out of a Styrofoam cooler. And most importantly I will not EVER have a staggered hatch again (add new eggs to the incubator when others fail) because I've been hatching eggs since Wendsday night and I tell you what, I haven't gotten a bit of sleep! I've drank more coffee between 10-12 than I ever have in my life, ive worried about these little eggs to the point of which I question my sanity lol I don't know how yall do it! I'm exhausted and stressing and driving myself crazy all at the same time!
1f62b.png
Quote:
my first came wendsday, it pipped and I went to bed, while I was asleep it had troubles zipping, it somehow got stuck and died
1f623.png
the next one was hatched Friday I stayed up with it until 2am, one was born Saturday morning the other one looks like it died in lockdown when i candeled it
, 2 are hatching right now and I have two more that are supose to hatch tomorrow then I'll be done! I'm so tired I wish these babies would hurry up !!!!! I changed my post about candeling, I made it sound like it died from candeling, it did not, ive candeled the other ones in lockdown by doing just what you said. I meant it looked like it died when I candeled it. I'm still hoping and giving it until the last egg hatches, but my problem has been from temp and humidity swings after an eggs hatches, it goes all over the place and takes a while to settle, I'm pretty sure that's what killed it if it is indeed dead
A few comments for you on these topics.
Staggered hatches: I do them fairly often but timing is important. Setting eggs day after day is a bad idea. Eggs stored properly can wait a week or more so set eggs all at once or at most, just a couple hours apart and then not again for at least 4 days. In this way, you have time to get chicks out before the next ones pip. I believe the biggest problem is not being able to turn eggs while keeping the incubator closed during hatching. If eggs are set 4 or 5 days apart, you can still turn eggs sufficiently. If your eggs are set over a week apart, you would have eggs needing to be turned and miss that attention for a couple days while hatching occurs. The first 2 weeks of turning is most critical and should be done every 2 to 6 hours if possible.

Candling: IMHO, you are candling too much. Granted, I don't have white eggs and mine are difficult to see into but there isn't really a need to candle that often. I candle at about 10 days and if they are positively clear, I'll remove them. Any that look to have been developing, I leave till about day 17-19 when I'll candle again. I have eggtopsied eggs I thought were done only to have a live embryo in there so I'm never anxious to remove eggs. IMHO, there's no reason to remove eggs before day 23 unless they leak or stink.
I don't think excessive handling of eggs is doing them any good.
You are fussing way more than a mother hen. She doesn't candle, she doesn't lose sleep, she just sits and occasionally turns eggs. If they hatch, she takes care of them. If they don't hatch, she abandons them. That's what I do and I don't lose a minute of sleep.
Making sure your breeders are healthy and given optimal nutrition, storing the eggs properly, then turning regularly, keeping proper temp and humidity is all you need to do.
If you're lucky enough to have an auto turner, you should be able to set them and forget them.

I kinda have a problem with continued candling after the 18th day. I'm a worry wort and I have to keep an eye on them. I just do it really quick and I don't move the egg very much. I just got to make sure they don't quit on me. So I'm constantly hovering over the bator. I don't want my babies to have trouble.
There's absolutely no reason to candle after day 18. Nothing good can happen when you do. If they quit on you, there isn't anything you can do about it.
Sit on your hands

I have too! Lol I'm pretty sure I have guilt over falling asleep and not being there for the chick who was having problems, I may not have been able to spot it or help it because this is my first time incubating, but because of that if one pips I watch them like a chicken hawk!
Don't help

gig.gif
I meant heat to food. With Serrano peppers.

Quite the misunderstanding.

But I think that is possible too. Some people can't take the heat.

Last edited:
Alot of great advice. I have definitely learned alot through this process, I wasn't going to incubate eggs but then my broody hen decided to ditch her clutch after a week, this was my first experience and I definatly didn't plan it. I am an anxious person anyway, so I'm sure that doesn't help. But I guess for having to make do with a styrofoam cooler and all the other issues ive had along the way I've done pretty good to hatch any at all! If I ever decide to incubate again I will buy an incubator and plan it out better. My last 2 pipped this morning, if they hatch 6 out of the 12 made it. 50% isn't ideal but it's not bad given my circumstances! Thanks everyone for the advice and being there for me through it all, the people on this website are amazing!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom